Chapter 9

I stirred slightly, yawning. I rolled over, reaching my hand out. I roamed my hand around the bed, feeling only the cool soft bed sheet.

I furrowed my eyebrows as my eyelids fluttered open. I looked around as my vision cleared. I looked down at the empty spot beside me. I couldn’t help the dejected feeling that over took me. He left. 

Of course he left. Why would he stay with you?! 

I sighed, trying to shake the feeling. I checked the time on the wall clock, 6:32 am. 

I lifted up the covers and climbed out of the bed slowly. I walked into the bathroom and shut the door. 

I quickly stripped out of my clothes. I looked at myself in the full length wall mirror. The bruises were starting to fade away, all of them now a faded yellow. My split lip was slowly healing, as were the small cuts on my face. 

I padded over to the shower. I turned the hot water on. I grabbed a washcloth before stepping in. 

I stood under the scolding water; enjoy the feel of it slightly burning my skin. I grabbed a bottle of shampoo and squeezed a glob into my hands. I massaged it deep into my scalp. I closed my eyes as I pushed my head under the water. The water streamed down my face and back. 

After repeating this three times I conditioned my hair. I then grabbed my washcloth and thoroughly cleansed myself with body wash. 

I shut off the water before stepping out. 

Steam filled the entire bathroom, making it hard to see. I grabbed a towel and wrapped it around myself. My wet hair dripped down my back. 

I opened up the door and stepped into my bedroom. 

I froze as saw Officer Lee sitting on the bed, fiddling with his thumbs. He looked up, meeting my eyes. “Good morning.” He beamed at me. I gasped. I had never seen him look so… happy. 

“G-ood morning.” I said, my voice coming out high pitched and squeaky. Why does it always do that?! 

“Uhm… did you sleep well?” 

“Excellent, you?” 

“Best sleep of my life.” I could feel a blush coming to my cheeks, until I suddenly remembered that he had left me. He probably had the best sleep of his life because he didn’t have to worry about you! “Because I slept with you.” 

My mouth went bone dry as I stared at him. “B-but you left me.” 

“No I didn’t. Well, I did get up. But only to buy you breakfast.” 

Tears welled up in my eyes as I suddenly had the urge to cry. He had gotten me breakfast? No one had ever, ever done that for me before. And he had the best sleep of his life because he slept with me. That had to mean something, didn’t it? It had to. 

“I wanted to give you breakfast in bed, but when I came up you were in the shower.” 

Tears spilled from my eyes upon hearing his words. 

Officer Lee immediately stood up from the bed, rushing over to where I was standing. “Sian, what’s wrong? Did I upset you?” I shook my head. He grabbed my face in his hands, making me look at him. “What is it?” 

“It’s just that… y-you’re really sweet. No one has ever been this nice to me. No one has ever done stuff like this for me.” 

His eyes burned bright as they traveled down my face to my lips. “I really want to kiss you right now.” he said, his voice sounding tight. My breath hitched in my throat. He traced my bottom lip with his right thumb. He sighed, closing his eyes for a brief minute. “But you should eat. We need to leave by 8 o’clock.”