Chapter 3

I let out the breath I had been holding as I walked up the last step. I turned my head to the right, looking down the small hallway. It was pitch black, making it hard for me to see. I could vaguely make out a door that had a small bell hanging from the doorknob.

I slowly walked over to the door. I reached out and turned the knob, making the bell jingle. The door creaked loudly as I pushed it open. I stepped into the room, the darkness still preventing me from seeing, though I could make out the small bed that sat in the corner of the room. I slowly made my way over to it, not wanting to trip on some unseen object.

I gently sat down on the edge of the bed before pulling my sneakers and socks off. I lay back, turning so that I was now on my side.

In a matter of seconds, I was asleep.

I groaned, blinking my eyes profusely. I rolled onto my back and stretched my arms and legs out, feeling them crack. I furrowed my eyebrows and cocked my head to the side as I looked up at the ceiling. My eyes bulged as my vision cleared up and I was able to see the small pink hearts and flowers. Though some of them were covered in splatters of red. I screamed as the memories rushed back to me.

I jumped out of the bed as if it were on fire. The bright sunlight shining in through the window allowed me to see clearly. I felt my heart beat speeding up, my breathing becoming harsher as I looked around the room. I had slept in this room?

This was my childhood bedroom, though I had no good memories of this room. Every time he was angry, he would bring me or her, usually me, in here and have his way for hours.

I walked over to the bed that I had been sleeping on less than five minutes ago. I pulled back the covers to see the sheets stained with dozens of dried red splotches. He used to do it on the bed. I turned my eyes away from the bed to look at the pink and white rug that lay on the floor. It to was covered in dark rep splotches. He used to do it on the floor too.

I felt the tears brimming in my eyes as more memories rushed into my mind. I quickly wiped them away. I did not cry.

I turned my head to the right. I saw my old toy box. His treasure chest. I stumbled over to it, reluctantly lifting up the lid. I screamed as my eyes scanned over the contents. There should have been Barbie dolls, barrettes, and ballies inside. But instead there were his own personal toys. Belts, whips, and all types of things he used to torture us.

A sob escapes my throat. I dropped the lid of the box and hurriedly ran from the room. I ran down the steps, tripping a few times. I wrenched the door open and stepped out of the house.

The door slammed behind me as I ran down the old rickety steps and down the street. I didn't know where I was going, but I had to get far away from that house. Images of him beating me, raping me, spitting in my face, laughing at me, flooded into my mind.

I stopped running after awhile, unable to force my legs to move anymore.

I keeled over, resting my hands on my knees. My chest heaved back in forth as I fought to catch my breath and stop my heavy sobs. Tears streamed down my face.

I stood up straight, trying to stop my tears and pull myself together.

More images. Him beating her, raping her, making me watch. I shut my eyes tightly, trying to get rid of them.

Woo, woo, woo, woo! A police siren rang out behind me. It continued to get closer until a police car drove onto the curb next to me, startling me.

In a split second the officer from yesterday stepped out of the car, a stern look plastered on his face. Ohh, Officer Lee! I dramatically sighed inside my head.