Prologue

Blaire's POV

I giggle as I watch James fail at his training. "You're gonna make a great Alpha doing that!" I tease.

James rolls his eyes. "Like you can do any better!"

I smirk and slide down off my chair. I walk over to the part of the course where he's stuck and do it with ease.

"And that is why I'm going to be the best Beta!" I boast.

James sticks his tongue out at me and I laugh. I watch him complete the course before he walks over to me.

"So my little Beta, how does some desert sound?" James grins.

I laugh and we race back to the pack house where they were serving cake for desert. Well, James and I skipped dinner.

"When I become Alpha, we'll have cake for dessert every night." James whispers to me as he gets his piece.

I laugh, getting my own piece. "What kind of cake?"

"Different ones every day!" James says, going to the table. I climb up onto the chair beside him.

"They're inseparable." I hear my mom say across the table.

"Wouldn't it be lovely if they were mates?" James's mom, the Luna, says.

"Oh it would." My mom says.

"What's a mate?" I ask innocently.

"Yeah mom, what's a mate?" James asks.

"A mate is-" Luna starts but she's interrupted by a scream.

"Rogues!" My mom hisses after the scream.

It all happens in a blur after that. James takes my hand and runs with me up to his room, holding me close.

That's when someone comes in. He's big and he's naked and his eyes are pure black. He starts walking over when James's mom comes out of no where.

The man is fast though, in one swift movement he kills James's mom. Causing both James and I to scream. Holding each other so tight.

Then the Alpha comes into the room.

"You're responsible for her death!" He yells towards James, seeing Jame's mom on the ground. "You did this! If she didn't try to protect you she'd still be alive!"

The Alpha is ruthless, killing the rogue then walking up to James, ripping him from my grasp.

"JAMES!" I shriek, holding out my arms.

The Alpha shakes James, hits him, beats him up before James is limp. Then something makes him snap out of it.

"No... James... What have I done James?" The Alpha whispers.

"James?" I walk over to him. "James you can wake up now." I whisper, tears in my eyes.

"Blaire... He's not waking up." The Alpha says quietly.

"What... What do you mean?" I ask, terrified of him. Terrified of what he did to James, what if he does it to me?

"Blaire, listen to me. I want you to run. I want you to run as fast as you can. As soon as you can shift, shift. I need you to get as far away from here as you can. I need you to leave and never come back. Forget about me and James and your parents and the rogues. Leave Blaire. Now." The Alpha says.

I have no problem running.

As I do I pass by dead bodies. Pack members, all dead. A rogue here and there. But my family... I pass by my mom and my dad both laying on the ground. The only thing keeping me from stopping and going to them is a voice inside my head telling me to run.

I keep going. Past a group of men. One of which who laughs and says to let me go, saying I'll be fun to hunt down when I'm older.

I keep running and running. Never looking back to my pack. My dead pack.