31. Zephyrus

After a long night of thinking, I made my final decision. I'm going to Duke. It wasn't easy choosing between being with my brother in college, and actually having a shot at getting drafted into the NBA. I told my mom about it, and she said it would be fine. I didn't tell Ced yet because he left last night with TJ.. I'm still nervous about what he might think about me abandoning him. But hey, we're about to be adults. I'm sure he can handle college without his bro.

I sit at my desk in my room, at nine a.m. the next morning, and I read over that letter a million times before calling the coach back, and letting him know. I even closed my eyes and said a little prayer about it. With sweaty hands, I quickly dialed the number left on the bottom of the letter.

"Hello?" I ask.

"Coach Mike?"

"Yes? What's going on, man?" He asks, with enthusiasm in his middle aged voice.

"Yeah this is Zephyrus King. I've come to a decision about playing with you guys." I say, nervously.

"Oh really? I'm sure you made the right choice." He says.

I take a deep breath. "I'm coming to Duke." I say proudly.

"What? You're serious?" Coach said happily, with an edge of relief.

"Yes. I wanna get drafted. And I think Duke is gonna help me get there." I confess.

"I promise you don't regret this Zephyrus. I'll keep in touch. Can't wait to have you this season." He says, in conclusion.

"Yes sir. And me either." I reply. "Goodbye." I hang up and sit back in my chair with my hands behind my head. Now I just have yo break the need to my family.  And Donyelle.

*********

Later on that day, I met my mom in the pool house we had built on our three acres. She was laying in the sun, relaxing. I sat in the chair beside her, and sighed.

"Hey baby. What's going on?" She asks, not looking up from her Kindle.

"I wanted to talk to you." I say to her.

She looks at me with her huge sunglasses on. I can't see any emotion in her face.

"Well..." I begin.

"Yes?"

"I'm not going to UCLA anymore." I tell her.

"Excuse me?" She asks, sitting up. "You're going to college. We've worked too hard for you to just give up now! What about basketball? What about a decent career?" She begins snapping at me before I can finish my news.

"Mom wait! Stop.. I didn't say I wasn't going to college. I said I'm not going to UCLA. I got invited to Duke University to play for their team." I say.

"What? Oh that's great son! I thought you meant something else... Very well. Have you told your brother about this?" She asks. I pull the letter out of mg pocket and hand it to her so she can look for herself.

While she skims through it, I explain to her about how Cedric knew about the invitation but he didn't know I was gonna actually go. Ever since ninth grade, my brother and I dreampt about college. Now we have to experience it on different campuses. Maybe this was the move I had to make, to become my own person. And I know Ced will be alright, he has TJ. But what am I gonna do about Donyelle. Atlanta is her home, and I know its gonna be hell asking her to move away with me while I go to school. And it'll be even more difficult for her to trust me while I'm away, and vice versa. But we'll figure something out...

"So you need to tell him. Before graduation. So you can enjoy these last week's y'all have together before your lives change." Mom tells me.

"Yeah. I'll tell him when he comes back. Do you want me to tell Isadore?" I ask. I haven't really talked to him since the night I found out he tried to cheat on mom with my girlfriend. And openly disrespected her.. But he still helped raise me. If it wasn't for him and his money, I wouldn't be the man I am today. With all the privileges and luxuries I've come accustomed to.