CHAPTER FOURTEEN

The next day, I walk into the school feeling less tense than usual. That is most likely because Mikell won't be here for two days. Plenty of other people look at me and shout dumb, meaningless names, but no one initiates the first move in a fight with me. That's something that I'm no longer used to.

After I finish at my locker, I head up the stairs to class. No one stops me. In fact, no one even touches me. I wish Mikell just never had to return to this school ever again. It's like he was the source of everyone's confidence or something. Without him, everyone is too scared to touch me. So far, all it seems that people can do without Mikell is call me names, which I can learn to tolerate. The only reason it was different for Kyle was because I wasn't here. Now that I am, hopefully no one will touch him.

I sit down in my seat and look at Kyle, who was already sitting down when I got here. He's looking down at his desk, not blinking or moving in the slightest. I stare at him for a few more seconds, wondering what exactly it is that he's doing.

"Kyle?" I lean towards him. He still doesn't move. He doesn't even seem to hear me. "Kyle? Hello?" I wave my hand in front of his face. His eyes don't move with it. I snap my fingers by his ear. He jumps slightly and blinks a few times.

"Oh uh hi." Kyle says, a bit dazed. He looks over at me. He has purple bags under his eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"I uh... I didn't sleep last night."

"Why not?" I ask. Kyle just shakes his head in response. "Did anything happen to you this morning? I didn't see Mikells friends at all. Were they harassing you?" Kyle shakes his head and looks back down at his desk.

I reach out and grab his hand from on top of his desk. With Kyles soft hand in mine, I use my thumb to caress his knuckles. I lightly kiss the back of his hand before placing it back on top of his desk and let go. I lift my head and start to face forward in my seat. But before I can turn around, I swear I saw a girl on the other side of the room, smiling at me and Kyle.

During second period, I space out and tap my pencil on my desk. I chew on my bottom lip as I think about Kyle. He just didn't seem like himself. For now, I'll believe that he's just tired. But if this behavior goes on, I won't let him get away with it. There's something really off about him today.

I put my head down on my desk and close my eyes. I shouldn't be so worried about how Kyles  acting. Maybe he is just tired. He just seemed so out of it. He probably needs some sleep.

"Zachary, head up. No sleeping in class." My teacher, Mr. Baker shouted at me. I lift my head up.

"Sorry." I mumble, obviously not meaning it.

I half pay attention the rest of the period, ultimately focusing on my own thoughts. Most of which are about Kyle. The whole hour, I try to distract myself by doing work, but that doesn't actually cut it. My mind still constantly wanders over to Kyle.

The bell rings and I shoot up out of my seat. Before I can leave the room, I'm stopped by Mr. Baker. I sigh and go over to his desk, where he is sitting with his arms crossed.

"Yeah?" I ask once I'm in front of his desk.

"You're aware of school rules, right?"

"Yeah."

"So you know how important it is to pay attention in class, correct?"

"Yeah."

"And this is not the first time you've misbehaved in my class. You've ditched, you've fallen asleep, you've missed assignments, you've taken out your phone and distracted yourself, not paying attention. You were just suspended and I'd have no problem getting you suspended again, do you understand?"