Chapter one

Here it is. The choosing ceremony. After my aptitude test reassured me that I belonged in Dauntless, or Erudite, I knew what I would be choosing.
As I walk down the stairs in my dark blue pants and blazer, I see my mother in the kitchen cooking my last breakfast with her,
"Good morning mother"
"Good morning Lilian, are you excited for today?"
"Honestly? A little nervous, are you sure you're fine with me leaving and going to Dauntless?" I say
"Honey, it's where you're destined to be. You and I both know that you may be smart but, you don't fit in at all." She replies
"I know, it's just so weird to know that this is the last breakfast I'll be having with you."
She puts down the spatula and walks over to me, hands on my shoulders, "I know it is, but look at it this way, we are one step closer to having the perfect system. With you on the inside, you can be my ears and help the other Dauntless leaders."
"You're right, I'm sorry. I'm just going to miss you."
"I know, and I'll miss you too, but Faction before blood." She responds.
As we finish our breakfast and head out the door, I turn around and take one last look at the house I've spent the last 17 years in. With one final breathe I turn out the door and I don't look back.
The walk over to the ceremony was short and my mother and I shared a few words with people who would stop us and wished me luck. Before we got to the doors my mother pulled me back and turned to me,
"I know you may be nervous, but at least you'll get to see Eric again." As a smirk appears on her face.
I try to hide the blush on my cheeks but she knew me too well.
"I have no idea what you are talking about," I try to pretend I was clueless
"Oh sure you don't, it's not like you didn't have the biggest crush on him before he transferred"
"We were just friends mom. And even if I did have feelings for him, I highly doubt he felt the same." I replied
"Oh honey, you are oblivious. He really liked you, i could see it in his eyes. And let's not forget how devastated you were when you found out he left."
She was right, I was devastated. He is, well was, my best friend. We were inseparable.
I just turned and blinked at her, and she knew to drop it.
We headed in and I stood next to her while she talked to the Priors. I occasionally answered any questions they asked me and nodded my head to show I was listening.
As my mother made a quick speech I stood and waited for her before we sat in our seats.
So far, two Candor have transferred in to Erudite, one Amity, and one Abnegation. Many have stayed in the born factions too afraid to leave their families.
As the last L name was called I knew I was next.
"Lilian Matthews."
I got up from my seat taking a quick look at my mother just to see her nod at me slightly.
I walked to the bowls, and grabbed the knife. Slicing my hand and walking confidently to the last one. I waited until I heard the sizzling of the coals to turn around.
"DAUNTLESS"
They cheered, my mother smiled and many others looked mortified.
I walked over to my new faction and earned many high fives and claps on the back.
This is my new faction. I am Dauntless now.