Chapter eighteen

A week has gone by and it was only two days before the final stage. To say I was nervous was an understatement.
Over the course of the week I have been reliving my three fears. Yes. Three. I only have three. I can get through the burning and drowning now in under 4 and a half minutes a piece but not the first fear. No matter how many times I go threw it, I still end up panicking and passing out.
Yesterday it was drowning so today only means it's my first one.
"Alright Lily." Four began "you have to go threw this on quicker. You're time is good but I know you can beat this one"
"Babe, try just nodding and pretending you agree. Look anywhere but them. They aren't real, and we don't think those things."
They have been giving me all kinds of advice for the past week. But this was my last shot. This was the last day of training before the final test in two days. This needed to work. So we began again and I was brought back to the sim.

I woke up and I was back in Eric's apartment. I knew what was coming so I didn't say anything this time.

"I wish you never transferred into Dauntless" he spat "You are only a distraction. I never wanted you here. I wish you had been beaten to a pulp in the final fight"
And I just nodded. Just like Eric told me. I looked away from him, thinking about anything other than his words he was saying in the sim.
So far so good. No tears. This is better  than last time.

"You mean nothing to me. None of us"

I looked around and saw Four, Eric, Peter and my mom were there.

"He's right Lilian. We never liked you" Peter snapped.
Alright think of something else that will distract you. I've got it. I started to think about the time Peter punched James and I started to chuckle. The time when I beat his ass in training. Anything that would make me laugh.

"Why are you laughing?" He snapped
"Because, I know this isn't real. None of you are real. You're words can't hurt me in here anymore." As I said this I looked every one of them in the eye.
One by one the all slowly disappeared.

I woke up and I was back in the room with Eric and Four.
"That was perfect!" Eric hugged me "you did it baby,"
"Four minutes and 15 seconds. Not bad at all!" Four said with a smile.

Later that night Peter, Eric, Four and I were sitting on the roof and drinking a beer. We were all just looking at the sunset.
"Hey guys, what is stage three?" I asked putting down the now empty bottle
"We're not supposed to tell you guys yet but," Four began but looked at Eric who nodded his head and wrapped and arm around me.
"It's called a fear landscape. All your fears will happen in one day. You will face them all back to back until they are completed." Four took a sip of his beer
"Every leader from each faction will be there to watch your landscape unfold. Even your mother." Eric said to me "They'll see what you see and you'll be timed and ranked."
"No pressure" I mumbled and the guys laughed

Two days went by and it was the morning of the finale stage and everyone was nervous.
The dinning hall was packed, yet no one had made a sound. All you could hear was The sound of forks pushing around food on trays. No one was eating.
I sat down with Eric and Peter. We just started to take little bites here and there, but Peter and I were nervous. Eric squeezed my hand under the table.
"You'll both be fine" he whispered

About fifteen minutes later, Four walked over to the table, and signaled that it was time for Peter and I to go.
Eric got up with us and grabbed my hand leading us to the main room.
Peter was up first. He had a total of 12 fears and be finished in about thirteen minutes. I was happy for him. Then I remember it was my turn.
Tori walked up to me and got me
"I'll be giving the initiates the serum today," she whispered and walked me to the chair.
I looked around and saw my mom. She gave me a little nod. I looked and found Peter, he gave me a small smile. I looked to his left and saw Four and Eric. Four looked at me and just nodded, and Eric. Well he winked and mouthed "be brave" to me and with that, I was out.

I woke up in Eric's apartment. 'Great way to start out' I thought. Here we go.
"I wish you never transferred into Dauntless" he spat "You are only a distraction. I never wanted you here. I wish you had been beaten to a pulp in the final fight"
And I just nodded. Just like Eric told me. I looked away from him again and thought about capture the flag, the day we watched the sun set. When he asked me to be his.

"You mean nothing to me. None of us"

I looked around and saw Four, Eric, Peter and my mom were there.

"He's right Lilian. We never liked you" Peter snapped.

Alright think of something else that will distract you. I've got it. I started to think about the time Peter punched James and I smiled.
Next my mother
"You're a disgrace and a failure!" She snapped "I wish you were never born"
I then thought of me beating peters ass in training and I started to chucked.

" I should have let James throw you off the chasm" Four snapped "why are you laughing?"
"Because, I know this isn't real. None of you are real. You're words can't hurt me in here anymore." As I said this I looked every one of them in the eye.
One by one the all slowly disappeared. I was brought to the next. Burning to death.
I opened my eyes and saw the flames. I looked down and saw I was tied. Not wasting anytime I moved my hands around until I could reach into my back pocket and grab my knife.
Once I had reached it, I started to cut at the ropes on my wrist and try to get them free. Which I succeeded at. Then it was my ankles. I was cutting as fast as I could because the flames were starting to get closer.
Once they were free I started to sprint in the opposite direction and stepped into a puddled and I was transported into the next sim.
'Okay Lily. This is the final one. This is it.' I thought as I was in the box. Which was already beginning to fill up with water.
I took off my jacket and took a breath and went to the bottom, plugging up the hole, and swimming to the top. I breathed and I awoke in another room.
This can't be correct. I only had three fears. Drowning, burning and being abandoned.
I walked forward and saw that my mom, Peter, Four and Eric were all tied to chairs.
"Oh Lily! Thank god, get us out of here, please!" My mother begged
I walked over to the table in the corner and saw a gun and a note that read "you can only choose one, so choose wisely." What the hell does that mean? I looked into the clip of the gun. There were three bullets and four of them. I had to choose which one lived? Are you serious? They all mean the world to me.
I checked my back pocket for my knife so I could cut them all free and it wasn't there.
"Lily please help us" Peter screamed
"Save me," they all began to beg
"Lily I love you, please save me" Eric begged
No, I could kill three of them. So I did what I thought was the only way out. I turned the gun on myself and pulled the trigger.