Can't You Hear My Cries?

Clint winced as Natasha's hand pressed against his forehead, then stroked his cheek. "You're still burning up. Didn't they do anything about this?" She turned her head to look at the group. Her red hair swung around her shoulders.

Clint only whimpered in response. His throat felt tight. The archer's eyes landed on the IV line he was attached to. The bag was filled with what looked like liquid blue crystals. It wasn't filled with regular IV solution, Clint knew that for a fact, considering the amount of time he had spent in the SHIELD infirmary.

He had to get the needle out of his arm.

Clint looked down to see the white hospital sheet covering his left hand. He tried to move it to rip the needle out, but the hand wouldn't move any more than an inch away from the side of the bed.

Hawkeye brought his knee up and then shoved it forward, pulling the cover off the upper half of his body.

His wrist was restrained to the bed rail with handcuffs.

"Barton, why are you restrained?" Bruce asked, eyeing the restraints. Clint microscopically shook his head.

"Something doesn't smell right." Black Widow crossed her arms over her chest and looked toward the two-way mirror.

"Probably Barton. When's the last time you showered anyway? What, did they shave your head because it was filthy?" Tony said in a sarcastic remark. Clint couldn't help but roll his eyes.

"It's not that, Tony," Natasha said, fed up with his attitude. "Get the restraints off him."

"I shall handle the puny restraints." Thor reached over Clint and broke the restraint off his wrist.

Clint immediately took his once-restrained wrist and rubbed it gently, getting the circulation back. He then reached for the needle in his arm and yanked it out. Tape adhesive stuck to his skin.

A loud beeping started going off.

"Clint, why'd you do that?" Natasha asked, sighing.

Clint motioned to his throat and gently massaged it.

"He's thirsty," Tony figured. Bruce handed him the cup of water that was by his bedside.

Clint frowned and took a sip, figuring his team sucked at playing charades. The water ran halfway down his throat, then caused the archer to break out in a violent cough. He dropped the cup and it spilled all over him.

Natasha sat down on the edge of the bed and gently patted his back, rubbing in circles as she did so. "It's okay, Clint, just breathe."

What if that's impossible? The drugs, Nat, don't let them give me any more drugs! Clint's mind cried, giving his teammate a scared look.

Natasha 'awwed', then kissed his forehead.

Can't you hear my cries?

Clint had one choice: he had to cry in front of his team.

He didn't have a hard time completing the job. Tears filled his eyes and soon streamed down his face.

A woman, dressed as a nurse—Red Nails—walked into the room with a fresh packaged needle. She placed her hands on her hips and playfully teased Clint like a child.

"Did Clint not want to take his medicine?" She asked in a sweet voice, as if she was talking to a child. Clint wanted to strangle her. No one used that voice around him.

"You're in trouble now with Nurse Hottie," Tony said sarcastically, smirking at Red Nails.

Don't encourage her! She's not even a nurse!

"Are you treating his fever?" Natasha asked, standing up and keeping her hand pressed against Clint's shoulder.

"I was just about to check it." Obvious lie, but the others couldn't hear the flaws in her voice like Clint could.

Natasha nodded once, then looked back at Clint.

Red Nails played along and took a thermometer out from the cabinet. Clint winced as he heard her heels click against the tile as she made her way over to him. She popped the cap off and held it against his lips.

Clint glared up at her, but Red Nails only smiled.

"Clint, they're just trying to help you. Let her get a reading," Bruce informed.

Clint groaned, then opened his mouth a little. She slid the device in, then forced his mouth closed by tapping under his chin.

"We're gonna start him on some therapy tomorrow for his arm, just so he can be back to his normal self when he gets home."

By normal, do you mean in a body bag?

"How long until he can come home?" Natasha asked.

"In a few weeks. It depends on how long it takes for him to get all his strength back."

Lies!

"We need to go. Romanoff, Barton will be fine." Tony gently grabbed her arm. Natasha looked at Clint, then at Tony.

"Fine." She looked at Clint one last time before leaving with the other Avengers.

Red Nails shut the door behind them, then walked back over to Clint. She took the thermometer out. "102.3. Not bad. It's going down. Get ready for punishment tomorrow, Hawkeye." Her voice became a growl at the end.

Clint cleared his throat, then in a raspy voice, he replied,

"Go to hell."

Thank you so much to those who have been supporting this story through votes, comments, and adding to reading lists!

Sorry for any grammar, sentence structure, or spelling mistakes. I will not be updating during fall break because I am going to Disneyland. Hopefully this chapter will hold you guys until I get back.

By the way, if you're interested in Bucky Barnes fics, check out my new story: Glitch. :)