The Darkest Hour

Note/question at the end! :)

"Hands off." Natasha stated firmly as she watched Red Nails drop to the floor and bleed out by Clint's boots.

"Nat!" Clint squirmed as he fought against the restraints still holding him to the chair. His wrists became raw and slightly bloody as he struggled. Natasha put the Glock in the waistline of her pants before hurrying over to Clint and looking at him like he shouldn't even be alive. 

"Don't move anymore...please! It'll make the drug travel faster throughout your body." She faked a cough as she felt a sob working itself up in her throat. The feeling died down as she shakily released her best friend from the duck tape and restraints.

Clint looked down as he pulled his wrists from the slack belts holding him to the chair. Natasha distracted him by placing her hands on either side of his head and lifting his head up. Her grey eyes met his blue ones. "What did she do to you?"

The archer gently pulled away from her. "Just drew blood from my lip and gave me a hair cut. You got here just before she..." Clint looked down at the drill on the floor, "got inside my head." He sighed and nervously looked back at Natasha. "She told me she was once a SHIELD nurse...a psycho one at that. I didn't know who she was...all she told me was that SHIELD threw her out once she started pretty much stalking some agents. She hated you, Natasha..." Clint sighed, then looked down again as he slipped his hands out from under the restraints. 

The Black Widow picked the discarded stethoscope off the metal tray on the table beside the chair Clint was currently standing up from. She watched as he kicked the drill across the floor and against he wall in disgust. 

"What did she do with this stupid thing?" 

Clint sighed again, irritated as he stared at the dead nurse's body. "She checked to see if the drug they gave me had made its way to my heart...it has. It's irregular."

The Russian woman had a look of fear on her face as she placed the ends of the medical tool in her ears, then immediately shoved Clint back down in the chair. 

Clint stumbled and fell back into it. "What the hell, Nat?!"

"Shh!" She snapped. The agent had been trained in emergency field medicine during her full-time SHIELD days, which meant she pretty much knew what a healthy heartbeat sounded like. She quickly pressed the cold disc to his chest. "Breathe for me!"

"Nat, don't worry about it. We need to go." Clint tried to get up again, but his partner pushed him back down.

" C'mon, we don't have much time! I need to hear if for myself!"

Clint did two deep breaths for her as he studied her face. Natasha sighed in frustration as she ripped the ends out of her ears and threw the stethoscope on the tile floor. "It's bad. It's not right, Clint. We need to get back home..."