Chapter 5 - Black Friday

The evening with Carlos at my parents' back porch was just great. Eventually Dan and Carlos sister, now I know is called Laura, joined us and we had good laughs while finishing the last bottles of cider.

Watching my brother steal glances at her warmed my heart. I don't know if this will develop past the holiday meal, but I really wish it for my brother.

I manage to tie my hair in a decent knot and go to my closet to find something to wear to work. As I bend down to grab a pair of shoes from the bottom of the closet, I see a plastic bundle. My blood freezes in my veins at the realization.

'Green female elf costume size 12'

The words of the basement attendant repeat in my head. How the hell am I going to fit inside that when I'm size 16?

I open the plastic and take the dress out. The skirt is puffy, so my wide hips should fit, but there is no way on earth that I will be able.to close the zipper on the back.

I start regretting the major indulgence of yesterday evening. What the hell am I talking about? One evening of conscious eating won't make me lose two dress sizes.

Okay Callie, creativity, you are good at that. I head to the hallway closet and get Mom's sewing kit. I only have twenty minutes before I have to leave, so actual sewing is out of the question.

I grab the three biggest safety pins that I can find. I open the zipper of the dress and place them in the inside. I grab a white sleeveless top and put it on, then pull the dress over my head. It is squeezing the hell out of my boobs and my arms, but the front looks okay. I check the back in the mirror and of course it looks awful, but the customers will only see my front. Tonight I will sew a bit of extra fabric to make it fit.

I head downstairs after having a wrestling match with a pair of panty hose. I will grab a coffee at the mall. I enter the kitchen to grab my keys when I see a to-go cup with a yellow sticky note.

"Have a good first work day. D,"

The coffee machine has a fresh pot that he must have timed last night before going to bed. Dan, I owe you one.

Driving in the tight dress is uncomfortable, but I make it on time to the mall. Every freaking parking spot seems to be taken and the few ones available are all the way in the end. I let out a deep sigh as I start the walk towards the main building.

The entrance of the mall staff is crowded with annoyed and sleepy faces. The door is still locked. I'm glad that I'm wearing my wool jacket in the cold weather. Once it opens, we all move quickly inside.

I hang my coat and put my purse away in the lockers.

"It is a ridiculous idea. I didn't sign up for this,"

The complaint comes from a guy that looks around my age. He is wearing janitor clothes. His dark blonde hair is carefully styled and his arms are crossed over his chest and he is frowning.

"I know Brett, but it is company policy. They all did it before you," the woman from HR called Tina says to him.

The Brett guy leans on a wall and looks very upset. I better not cross his path today. The woman then start assigning us to our places. My gift wrapping station is close to Santa's Wonderland. I will be sharing it with Filipa whose elf dress is a bit too tight on her very fit 50 year old figure. Something tells me that she did it on purpose as her boobs are threatening to spill.

"So Candy, have you done this before? Gift wrapping?" she says as we walk to our workplace.

"Callie. My name is Callie. I have only done it for gifts for family and friends,"

"Oh sweetheart, that can't compare with what you will do here. This is mass production, but it has to look perfect," she says while tapping her perfectly manicured nail on her lip.

My half chewed nails feel very ashamed.

We arrive to the place that is stocked top to bottom with paper rolls, boxes, ribbons amd bows. Callie, you can do this. I notice that the front counter is quite narrow, but the counter behind is quite large.

"Filipa, where are we going to wrap the gifts?"

"Here on this wide counter. The front counter is just really made to hold more supplies," she says pointing at it.

I start freaking out. People will see my disastrous attempt at fitting my dress.

"Oh God," I say, holding on to the counter.

"What is it dear?" Filipa says putting a hand on my arm.

"My costume is too small," I say, removing the wrap that I have been using to cover myself.

Filipa looks at my back. At that moment, the guy called Brett comes behind the counter with two trash cans.

"Are you turning into the Hulk and ripping your clothes?" he says with a smirk.

I feel my cheeks turning hot at his remark.

"Why don't you go back to your trash and leave us in peace?" Filipa says harshly.

Brett smiles and walks backwards, hands up in surrender. He then gets on the housekeeping cart and drives away.

"What a dick," I say.

"Bigger than the one in his pants,"

I look at Filipa with wide eyes and burst laughing. She then grabs a piece of wide white ribbon that she staples to the top of my dress and the fabric belt.

"Is not perfect, but it hides the safety pins. Now, I estimate the first customers will be here in ten minutes. Let's do some prep work and have fun,"

And for the first time in my life, I think that I'm actually going to like this job.