Chapter 6 - Dreams

I had nightmares about it. Not scary ones, but the kind in which images keep repeating themselves. Yards and yards of paper, and boxes and bows.

Yesterday, when I came home I was so exhausted that I went straight to bed. I didn't even have dinner. Maybe that is the reason why my dress feels a bit loose. Or because I woke up insanely early this morning and sewed a piece of fabric to my dress to make it wider.

With the Black Friday shopping rush over, the mall opens today at the usual nine in the morning. I managed to have a healthy breakfast at home and feel good about myself. Still, no word from my parents. I guess they are expecting me to quit at any moment.

Dan on the other hand kept me company this morning. Too bad that he is leaving again tomorrow and I won't see him until Christmas.

I get to the mall and again, I have to park all the way to the end. Didn't they shop their wallets empty yesterday?

I head to the employee lounge and place. I open my assigned locker to find a small folded note.

'Size 12? In your dreams,'

I look around, but everybody seems oblivious to my finding. I wonder who the asshole or bitch is that left that note.

"Callie!"

I turn around to see Laura. She looks adorable in her pink elf dress. Her lovely black curls are tied at the nape of her neck.

"How are you doing Laura?"

"Doing great. I saw you yesterday at the station, but you were so busy that I didn't dare to interrupt you,"

"It was madness, and from the amount of cars outside, I think is not over. How was it with Santa?"

"Busy as well. I swear that from time to time I wanted to spank a few of those kids. Spoiled brats. Oh here is Fred. Are you okay sweetie?"

A chubby man with a gentle face approaches us.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I asked Tina if she could station a security guard nearby. One of the kids hit me in the nuts on purpose, and of course the mother just laughed,"

"That is awful," I say.

"Callie, this is Fred. He plays Santa at the Winter Wonderland," Laura says.

"Very nice to meet you. What are those red spots on your neck?" I say.

"Oh, this is beard rash. That fake beard is incredibly itchy," he says, rubbing the spots.

"I have something in my purse that might help," I say, opening my locker and getting a tube of cream for dry hands. If it works for itchy, dried winter skin, it should do the trick.

I hand the tube to Fred, who starts applying it. The relief in his face evident.

"This is great darling. How can I repay you?" he says, handing the tube back.

"Well, you are Santa and I would love a boyfriend for Christmas, but I guess that is a lot to ask. A uniform that actually fits might be easier," I say, making him laugh.

Fred says goodbye and heads to get dressed. I walk downstairs together with Laura, and then wish each other a good day while heading to our respective workspaces.

I start doing some prep work, when Brett arrives with two clean trash cans like yesterday.

"Morning," he says.

I stare at him, waiting for a snide remark.

"What?" he says, examining his clothes then looks back at me with bright hazel eyes.

"Nothing. I was waiting for a comment about my clothes,"

"Oh, that. I'm sorry. I was way out of line yesterday. Your clothes fit today. Did you get new ones?"

"No, I sew a piece of fabric to it. The guy at the basement didn't want to give me a bigger size," I say while opening a bag of bows.

"Did you lie in your work application?" he says and smiles. Crinkles appear next to his eyes.

"I'm not going to discuss that with you," I say, leaning on the counter and looking at him.

"Why not? Maybe I can help,"

"Why would you want to do that? Just yesterday you were making fun of me. I don't doubt that it was you who left the note in my locker,"

"What note?" he says with a little frown.

"Never mind," I say, turning around to keep working on preparing the station.

Brett leaves and the first shoppers eventually arrive to have their purchases wrapped. I really like this system. They pay for the wrapping at whatever shop they got the gift, show the ticket to me and I get to work.

I really enjoy doing this job. It might seem stupid to some people, like to my sister Evy, but it gives me a lot of pleasure. I imagine Christmas morning, a lit tree and under it all the lovely things that I have wrapped.

"Good morning, how can I help you?" I say to the next person in line.

The man looks hesitant.

"I... I bought this yesterday, but there were a lot of people and I didn't dare..."

"No problem. Let's see what you've got," I say, grabbing the bag from his hands.

"No! Wait!" he says.

But it is too late. On my wrapping counter there are now a series of intimate toys right on display for everybody to see. I gulp hard and turn around, trying to keep my confidence.

"Apart or everything in one box?"

"One box," he says, even his neck has turned red.

I try my best to make it the most beautiful packing ever.

"Here you go sir. Happy holidays to you and your significant other," I say with a wink, trying really hard not to laugh.

The man melts a bit and gives me a smile. And then I imagine Christmas morning, a lit up tree with a big box wrapped in red paper, and somebody that will probably won't want to leave the bedroom after opening it.