Chapter 18 - Nativity Play

"You look lovely,"

I turn around to see that Brett is standing behind me. He looks really hot dressed in black. It makes his hazel eyes look lighter.

"Thanks. You look really nice too. Where is your Batman suit?"

"This is it. You know, all black?" he says, motioning to his clothes.

"Oh, now I get it!" I say and a giggle escapes me.

"What are you doing?" he says, looking over my shoulder.

"Arranging the food that the parents have brought. I don't know why I bother. This will look like a battle zone after the show," I say while stacking donuts.

"You do it, because your mission in the world is to make things prettier. I'm sure people appreciate your efforts, even when they are fighting over the last cookie," Brett says while stealing one.

"Hey! Leave those alone!" I say, smacking his hand playfully.

"Sorry. I haven't eaten anything since the pancake tower," he says with his mouth full of cookie.

"What did you do then? You were free today,"

"I... just chilled. Hey bro!" he says to somebody behind me.

"Hey Brett!" Carlos says.

He is accompanied by a tall, beautiful and elegant blond woman. I instantly feel awkward.

"How was the gig?" I say.

"It was great. Now back to the cold after three days at the beach. Guys, this is Sam. Sam, these are my friends Callie and Brett,"

"It's very nice to meet you," she says, shaking hands with us.

"How do you know each other?" I say, feeling curious about all of this.

"At a briefing some weeks ago. We started talking and it just clicked. Carlos is a great guy. I still find it a miracle that he was single. How about you guys?" Sam says.

The briefing... on the day of our friendly date. It all makes sense now. See? Always the rebound girl while something better comes along.

"Callie and I work at the mall," Brett says.

"Oh! One of those 'finding love at work' stories!" Sam says delightedly.

I look at Brett, who has a warm smile and don't know what to say. Carlos and Sam excuse themselves to find seats for the show.

"Sorry about that," I say.

"About what?"

"She thinks that we are in a relationship,"

Brett just stares at me and then caresses my cheek.

"Should we go and get some seats?" he says.

We make our way into the multi use room. The place is quite full but we manage to find seats. I explain to him that my Mom teaches kids when they are preparing to receive the communion, but that she helps with all the special events. Mom told me that Carlos' mom sew many costumes and other parents chipped in as well. Brett looks at everything with curiosity and has endless questions. He enjoys the play and is charmed by the little kids and their performances.

"And you have done it as well?" he asks while drinking a cup of coffee.

"Yeah, I have been the Virgin Mary and the Star of Bethlehem once, a shepherd twice and was even the bull in the stable before I told Mom that I didn't want to do it anymore,"

"Why? I bet you did great all those times,"

"The boys kept calling me a cow, because I'm fat," I say. The memory is bitter.

Brett places his arm around my shoulders.

"Kids can be very mean when they are jealous,"

"Or when the other kids are different," I say.

"Callie, I don't find you fat. My sister would kill to have boobs like yours. You are lovely and feminine, a natural beauty, like a Venus de Milo. Only with arms... and bigger boobs,"

"Stop saying boobs! We are in church!" I say in a loud whisper.

"You just said boobs yourself," he says laughing.

I look towards the table of sweets and see Carlos and Sam talking. A sigh escapes me.

"He is in love," I say.

"How do you know?" Brett says, looking at them.

"The way that he looks at her. Like there is nobody else in the world but her. Carlos and I had a date on the day that they met. Now I understand why he friend-zoned me on that night. He fell for her, but he is a gentleman, so he still took me out as friends of course,"

"You are not mad at him?" Brett asks, looking at me again.

"No. He is a really good guy. Pure of heart, polite and kind. He deserves happiness and she is what he needs,"

"Finally, I can sit!" my mom says in a dramatic way, sitting next to us.

"Good job Mrs. Ericsson. It was a fantastic show and the kids were great," Brett says.

"They were. Well, I almost smack the hell out of the Virgin Mary. Luckily, her mom was around and gave her a good reprimand. Nobody makes fun of other kids when I'm around. God made us different because that is more fun. Little bitch! How she dares to make fun of a boy because he has glasses," my mom says, her cheeks turning red from the annoyance.

I look at Brett, who is trying not to laugh, but is failing miserably.

"What?" Mom says.

"You said hell and bitch... in church," he says giggling.

"Oh, God forgives me," Mom says, waving her hand at the heavens. "Do you kids have any plans tonight? I will clear up here and head home. I need to find your dad first,"

"Well, I was wondering if Callie would like to go to the movies with me?"

"Great! You two have fun," Mom says, standing up and heading to chat with other people.

"So, what do you say? There is this old cinema close to your house. They are showing 'A Christmas Story',"

"I love that movie," I say.

"Good, shall we head to our first official date?"

I must be dreaming. I probably slipped on a jelly filled donut and split my head.

"Is this like those annoying stories in which they make a bet on who can bang the ugly chick?" I say, feeling a bit hesitant.

"Callie, I don't have friends. Who would I make a bet with? This is you and me with a tub of popcorn and a big tray of nachos having a good time together,"

"But you are... hot... like a high school quarterback hot..."

"Well, thanks, but I suck at sports so that will never apply to me. Let's go," he says, holding my arm.

We walk to his car and I still can't believe it... I'm going on a date with Brett.