Chapter 19 - Three Days to Christmas

I'm still walking on clouds. Last night was just perfect. We arrived in the old theater that has been carefully restored. It was decorated with gorgeous vintage Christmas decorations and there was a tree in the main hall.

There was popcorn, but not served in carton tubs. It was in those cute striped bags. Instead of candy bars they had them in theater boxes. We couldn't decide so Brett got us pretty much one of everything.

We sat with our loot in the plush chairs and basically had the theater just for us. With the multiplex at the mall, places like that one are forgotten. We laughed our asses off with Ralphie and his air rifle wish for Christmas.

I didn't even notice that he had his arm around my shoulders and that I cuddled against him. It was only when he gave me a small kiss on my temple that I noticed. I looked at him and even with the dimmed lights I could see him clearly. He was looking at me in the same way that Carlos was looking at Sam.

He leaned in and gave me the most tender kiss that I have received in my life. His lips pressed softly on mine and lingered there for a bit. When we separated, he laughed a bit. Not in a mocking way, but the one that you reserve for when you are happy.

He brought me home after the movie. Then gave me another kiss as his hand cupped my face. I opened the door and while wishing him good night I stepped out with my foot on the edge of the sidewalk, falling backwards and on my butt. He didn't laugh, and got out of the car to check on me and then hugged me goodbye.

Mom and Dad were watching TV in the living room. Mom was smirking, so she probably saw everything through the lacy curtains. Right when I was going up the stairs, she asked me to invite Brett over for Christmas.

Today I'm looking forward to go to work because I will see him again. I'm not sure what to do when I see him. Do I kiss him? Maybe he doesn't want people at work to know that... are we dating? Maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself. Maybe it was just the moment and today he will be friendly as always, and nothing else.

As I come into the employee lounge, I find Brett drinking a cup of coffee and reading the newspaper.

"Good morning," I say.

"Hey pretty elf! How are you today? Did you sleep well?" he says, giving me a soft kiss on my lips.

I look around and there are plenty of eyebrows raised.

"I'm great and I slept well. No bruises," I say and he smiles knowingly. "Brett, my mom wants to invite you for Christmas dinner. You don't need to come if you don't want to, of course,"

"I wouldn't miss your company and your mom's cooking for anything else," he says, holding my hand.

"Are you sure? The whole family will be there and that might include K-Ink and his golden teeth,"

"Oh, I'm sure that poser won't try anything stupid again. I'm not scared of meeting your family. Actually, I'm looking forward to meet your sister,"

"Why on earth do you want to meet Evy?" I say laughing.

"I'm making a study on awful sisters," he says with a wink.

"So you won't spend Christmas with yours?"

"No way. I had too many Christmas years with the witch. Anyway, she always spends it in New York with a bunch of lame friends in power suits,"

"What does she do for a living?"

"She... works in mall operations in the northeast,"

"I have no idea what that means," I say honestly.

"That is supervising that a mall is running like it is supposed to. Coordinating between all the teams and the tenants. Making sure shops look nice and the mall is safe, clean and enjoyable for customers so they come back and shop more,"

"You know a lot about that. Your sister should hook you up with a better job," I say, making him laugh.

"I'm okay where I am. Otherwise, I wouldn't have met you," he says, making me blush.

"And what do I wear then for Christmas at your house?"

"Something normal for God's sake. Last year my parents wore these awful matching sweaters with Rudolph the Reindeer in the front,"

"Did the nose lit?" he says, looking amused.

"Worse! It made a honking noise when you pressed them. After a whole night of eggnog they kept honking each other's noses. It was embarrassing," I say, shuddering at the memory.

"Okay, normal clothes then, no cheesy Christmas sweater. Do I need to bring like gifts or anything else?"

"Nah, we stopped doing gifts a while ago. Too much hassle. I buy something for my baby niece, but that is it,"

"Ah well, I have today and tomorrow to figure a hostess gift at least. Also to thank your mom for taking care of me when I was sick,"

I walk to my locker to put my purse and find another note. I thought that whoever was doing this had left me in peace finally. What the hell could it be about now?

'Climbing the social ladder? He will never fall for a nobody like you.'

"Callie? Are you okay? You just growled,"

Brett is standing next to me and looks worried.

"Somebody keeps leaving these stupid cryptic notes in my locker. It is fucking irritating. Who could I have pissed so much that they want to hurt me? I come here and do my job. I only speak with a few people," I say, giving him the note.

Brett looks at the note with a frown.

"You say there were more notes?"

"Yeah, and whoever writes them knows personal details about me. It is almost as if they spy on me," I say, giving him the bunched up notes from the bottom of my purse.

He reads each of them. The crease in his forehead turning deeper.

"Don't worry love," he says, and then kisses me. "Have a great day and I will see you around,"

I don't know. I don't have a good feeling about this.