Chapter 24 - Eggnog

I look at him and can't believe my luck. He is handsome, well mannered and has everybody entertained. He steals a kiss from me from time to time when people are not looking.

I love the way he smiles when he looks at me. My cheeks give away how I feel and he caresses them with his thumbs. Never in my life I have felt so loved.

"Hey, would you like to go tomorrow night to my parents? I want to introduce you to them," he says while lacing his fingers with mine.

"Okay. What should I wear?"

"Nothing fancy. They might have money, but at home they just wear matching sweats. Promise me we will never do that," he says in a pleading tone.

"You are kidding, right?" I say surprised.

"I wish that I was. They like comfort. Once Dad forgot that he had a meeting at home and opened the door to his visitors wearing that," Brett says laughing.

"Don't they have like a butler to open the door then?"

"No, they don't. They also don't have a cook as my stepmom likes to do it. A cleaning crew comes once a week, but that is it,"

"You are a different kind of rich then,"

"I guess they are. I'm not that rich. I have to clean my apartment myself,"

"But you drive that pretty car and live in that neighborhood,"

"Second hand car and I rent from my Dad. I used to be an accountant before I got the Operations job. After I finish the aspirant period, and start getting my new salary, I will be able to buy something of my own. Well, our own. Would you like a house or an apartment?"

I feel shocked at his question.

"Brett, we have been in a relationship for about two hours. Isn't it too soon to decide where to live?"

"Callie, you might think is the eggnog, but it is my heart speaking. I'm sure that we will marry one day. I don't know when or how, but I see it happening,"

I start laughing. A little nervous and excited laugh. He grins at me. I look around the room and see Evy throwing daggers at us with her eyes.

"Evy is not agreeing with our happiness," I say between giggles.

"Yeah, she thinks that I have not noticed. She is also throwing hate towards your brother. I always thought that pregnant women were happy and bubbly. Your sister broke my illusion,"

"Most women are. Evy is just a miserable cow. I never understood why. Stefan loves her. She has a good job in what she likes. She just thinks that I get everything handed to me without effort,"

"I would like to see her in the mall wrapping gifts and handling customers,"

"She would have strangled somebody with ribbon and shoved a bunch of bows in their noses," I say, making Brett laugh.

It amazes me that he finds me funny.

"Oh, you will probably get a call on Monday from HR. Filipa as well. Dad has this idea of roaming information points. All seasonal employees that performed well will be invited for an interview,"

"What is a roaming information point?" I say, feeling curious.

"Instead of a central information desk, people will be walking around answering questions. You already showed my Dad that you know the mall inside out. Did you know that he actually went to the food court and got a BLT after your suggestion?"

"He did?"

"Yeah, he tried everything that you told him. My stepmom is actually grateful to you for her gifts. She is saving the champagne truffles for when you come by,"

"That is lovely," I say.

Mom and Dad come to us and hand another cup of eggnog to Brett.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Ericsson, but I'm driving,"

"Nonsense! You will sleep here. You both have suffered enough. Now it's time to celebrate," Mom says, pushing the cup on Brett's hands. Her cheeks have a cute pink tint.

"But you will sleep on the couch. If you dare to enter Callie's bedroom you won't be able to tell the story again,"

"Oh, Duncan! Don't be so old fashioned. Or did you forget that New Year's Eve at my parents?" my mom says, wiggling her eyebrows.

"Never," Dad says, putting his arm around my mom's waist.

"What happened on that night?" I ask, feeling curious.

"We made Dan," Mom says with a big grin while I feel disgusted.

"Palms, you can sleep at Callie's but if you knock her up, you really won't be able to tell the story again,"

Mom winks at us and they go back to mingling.

"Sorry about that. My fault for asking details. A restriction order should be issued to them to protect all the eggnog," I say, making Brett laugh.

He gives me a kiss and I can taste the sweet beverage on his tongue.

Aria starts throwing one of her famous temper tantrums. Evy starts gathering her things and apologizing to the people around saying that she needs to go home.

Before I can do anything, Brett has picked up Aria and is tickling her. The screams and big tears of a second ago forgotten. Aria looks at him and places her lips full of drool on his chin.

"Was that a kiss? Did you just give your Uncle Brett a kiss?" he says delightedly.

Aria smiles at him and motions for me to hold her. He gives the little girl to me and cleans his chin with his palm.

"She is a good kisser, but you are better," he says teasing me.

"Come on Aria. We are going home," Evy says. Aria holds me even tighter.

"So soon. We haven't had a chance to meet properly,"

Evy blinks a few times at Brett's words.

"Eh, it has been busy," she says. Her face shows that she is completely taken by surprise.

"Well, I guess that we will have to catch up another time. One thing is for sure: Callie told me that you are beautiful, and she is right. Stefan is a very lucky man to have an elegant and smart woman like you at his side. Just as I feel lucky to have your sister at mine,"

And this day will be remembered forever, when Brett Palms melted Evy's frozen heart.