Chapter 13 - The Day After

As I walk to the gift wrapping station, I couldn't be in a better mood. Last night was eventful and really happy.

Mom and Dad arrived in the house when Brett and I were washing dishes. I didn't even hear their car. We were so concentrated on our task while singing to the songs coming from his mobile.

I turned around to put plates in the cupboard and saw them standing by the door frame. Dad's eyebrows were raised in surprise and Mom had a silly grin.

Brett introduced himself and they looked really pleased at his manners. When I explained what he did for me, they couldn't be more delighted. They even invited him for dinner on Saturday.

I arrive to my station, and find Brett perched on the counter.

"Hey there," I say, giving him a small wave.

"Hi! How are you today?" he says while jumping off.

"Very good, thanks to you. About dinner on Saturday, don't feel obliged to come. My mom thinks that she is a matchmaker and will try to play a stunt with you,"

"Really? And why is that?" he says with a cheeky grin.

"Aw, come on," I say, rolling my eyes.

"Tell me!" he says, poking my side in a playful way.

"Stop!" I say, laughing and wriggling away. The place is small, so I can't move too far. "Cause you are single, good looking and decent. Now, stop"

"You don't mind that I'm a maintenance worker?" he says, looking at me with curiosity.

"Why would I mind? I don't. It is a job after all,"

"Wouldn't you like, let's say... a doctor or somebody with a fancy degree?"

"Not if they are a douche or an asshole," I say, making him snort from laughter.

"What about your friend Carlos? He is a very good guy with a decent job, and even I envy his looks,"

"Carlos and I are just friends. Actually, one of the few I have at the moment. He is not interested in me,"

"Am I your friend?" Brett says softly.

"Yeah, well, if you want to,"

Brett stares at me again. I really don't feel uncomfortable, but I wonder why he does that. Suddenly, his hands lift and he takes off my glasses carefully.

"You are really pretty. With and without glasses," he says, putting them back on.

"I can't see much without them. You don't think that I should get contacts?" I say while preparing the station and also to hide my embarrassment at his compliment.

"Only if you feel comfortable wearing them, but I honestly think that your glasses are part of who you are. You shouldn't change to please anybody, only for yourself,"

"You sound like my mom," I say with a chuckle.

"Wise woman. I'm actually looking forward to next Saturday. It has been a while since I have had a homemade meal. I can cook, but I come home tired so I bring something from the food court,"

"You have been warned,"

"Warning taken. Hey, I have something for you. I forgot to give it to you last night," he says while walking to the housekeeping cart parked nearby.

The first customers get in line and I begin to wrap the lovely cashmere sweaters. They are probably for a mom, a classy lady for sure. I wish I had the money to get my own, something as nice as this.

"Here," Brett says, handing me a few golden bows that match the packaging.

"Thanks. Thinking about a career change?" I say after handing the wrapped gifts to the customers.

"Not really. Just wanted you to finish quicker to give you this," he says, giving me a little wrapped box.

The gift is wrapped in a happy, colorful polka dot pattern paper with a white paper bow. Nothing like what we have around here. The tape is placed carefully, but the paper is shorter on one side.

"Did you wrap this yourself?" I say, feeling amused.

"Yeah, I tried my best, but it is not as pretty as what you do. Do you like the paper? Took me a while to decide which one to buy," he says, rubbing his neck. His usual confidence gone.

"This is beautiful. Thanks Brett. Can I open it?"

"It is just a little thing. I really didn't have time to get you something nice. Never mind, give it back. I will get you another thing," he says, looking a bit nervous.

"No way! Now I want this one," I say and begin to unwrap it quickly.

Inside there is a jumbo box of Sixlets. It is not the one that we wrapped together. He really got this for me and wrapped it himself.

"This is very thoughtful Brett. Thanks!" I say and reach to give him a kiss, only he moves a bit and it falls on the corner of his mouth.

"I... I'm sorry. I aimed for your cheek," I say laughing.

"It's alright. Enjoy your gift and see you around,"

Filipa arrives a bit later and finds me fantasizing about the feeling of Brett's skin on my lips.

"It was so nice yesterday at your party! Isn't Brett a sweetheart?" she says with a dreamy smile.

"He is indeed. I'm very grateful to him,"

"I think that he has his eye on you," Filipa says in a sing song voice.

"I don't think so. He is too hot. Not the kind of guy that would be interested in me,"

"Callie, you are a lovely girl. I don't find it odd that a man like Brett can be interested in you," she says, rubbing my arm in a comforting way.

"Ah well, my parents invited him for dinner and he accepted. Probably my dad will interrogate him and I will find out his true intentions. What about you? Any development with Santa?"

"He asked me out!!!" she says while doing a little dance.

"He did? How? When?"

"He brought me home after your birthday. We talked a lot in his car, well, I did. He is such a darling. Turned all red and then asked me if I wanted to have dinner with him tomorrow after work,"

"That is lovely Filipa. I'm so happy for you!"

At least one of my birthday wishes has come true, and it gives me hope that the rest will do so too.