Chapter 20 - Two Days Before Christmas

The closer it gets to Christmas, the busier it seems. I'm trying to enjoy every moment as my contract will be over in a few days. I will leave my resume in the human resources department and hopefully I will get another job.

Brett has driven by and has waved at me. He  has also sent me some sweet messages. I didn't see him around during lunch, but it is so busy at the mall that I even had to eat while walking around. The food court was madness. Almost as if all the shopping turn people into hungry wolves.

I'm proud to say that I weighed myself this morning and I lost some weight. I'm not even on a diet, just eating well and regularly, even indulging occasionally. Mom says it is love. I don't think that I'm in love. In the past I did, and boy, I was wrong. I do have special feelings for Brett.

I only hope that when Evy finds out about what Brett does for a living that she doesn't give me a hard time. Not everybody is meant to be a lawyer like her or a doctor like her husband. I still can't believe that Stefan and Kevin come from the same parents.

"I'm back," I say to Filipa.

"You won't believe what I just had to wrap. It was a bra so big that you could cradle a baby in each cup. And let's not even start on the panty... parachute!" she says, making me laugh.

"Did you manage to keep a straight face?"

"Barely," she says with a smirk.

Customers come and go, and Filipa and I have barely time to talk in detail. I do know a few things: Fred and her are past the dating stage and he will be joining her family for Christmas. Her two sons are curious to meet Fred and I'm sure that they will love him.

My phone buzzes, but this time is not a message from Brett. It is from Daniel asking me if I can pick him from the airport tonight. He wants to surprise Laura by coming a day earlier. Since I learnt about their special friendship, I have been teasing the hell out of him. His roommates are even worse than me. I have never seen my brother so hopeful and happy.

I answer him back quickly that I will pick him up and go back to my work. One more hour here and then Brett and I will see each other again.

I can't stop thinking about him; about how he smells, how his lips feel against mine. I think about how he doesn't care how I look, but he does care about what I think and feel about things.

"Well hun, tomorrow will be one more day of work before Christmas. Do you have any plans for after the contract?" Filipa says.

"I hope that I can get another contract somewhere around here. It will be nice to see Brett around,"

"Who would have known that the man with the rude attitude would turn into such a lovely mate for you. I can only wish you happiness,"

A warm feeling overcomes me because that is exactly what I asked during my birthday wish: that all my friends find happiness.

I head towards the employee lounge and find Tina seating there. It is quite odd as you barely see her coming out of her office. I walk towards my locker and she just stares at me.

"Tina, are you okay?" I say, my voice sounds weak as I retrieve my purse from my locker.

"I'm fucking fantastic," she says in a very cold tone.

I feel movement at the door and see more employees coming, Brett among them. He looks at me and then at Tina and turns so pale that his lips become the same color of his skin.

"Tina, what are you doing here? You were fired this morning," he says.

The other employees turn around at his words.

"Oh Brett, what a little fool you are. Do you think that getting me fired was the end of us?" Tina says with a little laugh.

"Tina, there was never anything between us. We have never dated. Where do you get these ideas?"

Tina stands up and moves closer to Brett. I want to do something, but I'm frozen to my spot.

"The way you look at me. The way you would always come to my office. There is something there Brett, but then she came into the picture," Tina says, pointing at me. "I'm still amazed that you picked this loser. Since her interview, I have known that she was trouble. First, because she is a liar and second because she is the dumbest thing that has crossed the Palms Mall. Wouldn't even get the hints of my notes,"

"Tina, leave before I call security," Brett says in a controlled voice.

"You might be the owner's son, but until you pass your aspirant period, you can't be the boss,"

Owner's son? Aspirant period? Boss?

Brett looks at me wide eyed.

"Who are you then?" I say to him, but feel as if I'm choking. My eyes are filling with tears.

"You really don't know?" Tina says with delighted surprise. "Callie Ericsson, this is Brett Palms, Vice President of Operations in the Southeast. Well, that is after he finishes his aspirant period,"

"Callie... I can explain," Brett says, moving towards me.

I place my hands in front of me to stop him. I have so many feelings running through me. I feel feverish and cold, as if I'm about to pass out. I have never felt this betrayed and humiliated in my life.

"Well, my work here is done. Merry fucking Christmas everyone!" Tina says and leaves.

Brett takes another step towards me. I just walk past him and hurry towards my car. By the time I sit in it, I'm crying so hard. My heart is broken and it hurts so bad, because even with my conscious denial I know that I fell in love with Brett.