Chapter 14 - Care

I haven't seen much of Brett in the last days. Actually, I didn't see him at all yesterday or today. I wonder if he will make it to the dinner at my parents tonight.

"Darling, are you okay?" Filipa says next to me.

"I'm feeling a bit confused about the whole thing with Brett," I say, letting out a sigh. "He hasn't been around in two days and he always comes to say hello. I think that we misread the signals and he just wants to be my friend,"

"Don't think like that. Maybe he had some free days or something else going on. He doesn't seem to me like the kind of guy that plays games,"

"I hope you are right. How was your date last night? You have gone out twice in a row!"

"Well, we never made it to dinner," Filipa says and her cheeks get tinted.

I let out a little scream at the information. Who would have known that Fred had the moves? Filipa gives me a little summary of her date without entering into details. She looks so happy and I'm glad that things are working out for her.

The work day goes by and I head home still clueless to Brett's whereabouts.

"Hey sweetheart! I hope your friend likes egg noodles with pot roast. Otherwise, I have some dinner rolls," my mom says as I walk in the kitchen.

"Brett wasn't at work for the past two days. I hope that your efforts are not worthless,"

"He looks like a well raised man. He would have called to cancel," Mom says while placing plates on the dining table.

I then realize something. I don't have Brett's phone number and I have never given him mine.

I head upstairs and change into something comfortable. On my dresser, there are a few envelopes from colleges. My heart beats fast as I open the first one.

Dear Miss Ericsson,

Thank you for your application for admission. We regret to inform you...

I place the letter aside and open the other two. They are also rejection letters stating that I applied too late and to try again for the fall semester. Shit! Shit! Shit!

Just as I leave my room, I bump into my dad in the hallway.

"Callie, what is going on?" Dad says with concern in his face.

"Nothing,"

"Come on baby girl. I know I suck as a father sometimes, but you know that I will always be here for you,"

Hearing that sincere statement from my dad makes me break down. He places his arms around me in his unique and awkward way and I cry against his chest. Dad caresses my head until I calm down.

"Tell me now. What has you so upset?"

I tell Dad about the talk with Mom about being honest to myself and my plans. Well, my failed ones.

"It sucks Callie, but I'm proud that you are taking steps for your future. This is just a small rock on the road. You can take some short courses next semester and then apply again. I will happily pay for them,"

"Thanks Dad," I say, giving him a hard hug.

The doorbell rings downstairs and Dad caress my cheek lovingly.

"Your friend Brett must be at the door. I will change clothes and be downstairs soon,"

I open the door and find Brett standing on the porch. His face looks waxy and his lips are white and parched. His nostrils are very irritated.

"Hello Callie," he says and then starts coughing hard.

"Jeez, Brett! Come in immediately," I say, rubbing his back.

"I think that I've got the flu. I wanted to call you, but I don't have your number. Have been in bed for the past two days," he says coughing again.

"Have a seat," I say and he obeys. I touch his forehead and without a doubt he has a fever. "Did you recently take any medicine?"

"I never get sick. I don't have anything at home. I have been sleeping and shivering,"

"Callie, sweetie? Is Brett here?" my mom says coming in the living room. She stops on her tracks when she sees him. "Goodness! You look ill," she says, walking to us and placing her hand on his cheek.

"I brought this for you," he says almost out of breath, giving her a box of chocolate bonbons.

"Aren't you a gentleman?" Mom says, looking at him fondly.

"Mom, Brett doesn't have any medicines at home. I will get him something to get the fever down," I say.

"Sure. We need to bring him to Dan's room and make him lay down," she says while helping Brett to stand up. "Brett, sweetheart, do you need us to call your parents?"

Brett blinks a few times while looking at my mom. Her question has taken him completely by surprise.

"My mom passed away when I was eleven years old. I don't think my father and my stepmother will even care,"

The words came out with so much sadness that it is heartbreaking.

"Don't you worry. We will take care of you," I say to him.

Dad comes down the stairs and Mom puts him up to date. He even supports Brett while going up the stairs and towards Dan's room. I open the bed covers and Brett sits at the edge of the bed. I get an old pajama from my brother and hand it to him. Then go and get some pills and cough medicine.

"Why are you doing this? You don't know me Callie," he says, laying down on the bed and shivering after taking medication.

"Because you are my friend and it is the right thing to do. I care about you. We will have you up and running soon. We have all the time in the world to get to know each other,"

Brett starts breathing hard and rubs his nose hard, trying to contain a sniffle.

"Hey... hey... everything will be alright," I say, holding his hand.

"You have no idea how much this means to me,"

I give him a small kiss on his hot forehead, and then just stay sitting in bed, facing him and caressing his hand. Brett falls asleep after a bit. Something tells me that it's been a while since someone has truly cared about him.