Chapter 26 - Lady Issues

I keep rubbing my belly as we drive towards Brett's apartment. I think the food didn't fall too good. I didn't eat a lot, but still feel quite sore.

"We are here," Brett says, patting my knee.

The building looks just... normal. Maybe I was expecting something with palm trees, fountains and maybe a few peacocks walking around the gardens. The foyer is small, with a wall of mailboxes and a doorman that at the moment is more interested in his small tablet than anything else. We go up the elevator to the highest floor.

"There are four apartments per floor. The place could use a good renovation," Brett says, trying to make small conversation as he opens the door.

His apartment is quite nice with simple furniture and decorations. The only colorful things are the paintings on the walls.

"My mom made those. She was an artist. We have traveled to tons of places when I was a kid, and she always saw the beauty in all of them,"

"They are indeed gorgeous paintings. Plus, it is like having your mom with you in here,"

Brett smiles warmly at me and caresses my cheek. I feel a bad cramp and my eyes widen. My brain does a quick count of how many days since...

"Sweetie, are you okay?" he says, putting his hands on my arms.

I feel really mortified. I don't want to share that nasty detail of being a woman.

"I... I need to go home," I say, and hope is not too late.

"Okay, I can bring you back. Cal, what is going on? What did I do or say?" he says with worry.

"No, you didn't do anything. It's... oh shit... this is embarrassing... Just female problems,"

"Oh, you got your time?" he says and I nod. "No problem there. Remember that I have a sister. She always leaves stuff around so you might get lucky,"

He leads me to the bathroom and opens the cabinet. Indeed, I can even make my pick. Brett leaves me alone and I fix my lady problem. I come out of the bathroom and he is in the kitchen wearing different clothes.

"You took really good care of me. Now I can repay the favor," he says while handing me a glass of water and two aspirins.

Any plans I had of a quick toss on the sheets go out the window. After a tour of his apartment, we just cuddle on the couch, make out plenty and then watch TV while I hold a bottle of warm water to my aching belly and eat indecent amounts of chips and candy.

"Do you feel well enough to go to my parents for dinner? Otherwise, we can stay here or I can bring you home,"

"I'm better. We can go,"

The drive to his parents doesn't take long. The house is in a gated community and has a nice little garden in the front. It isn't a mansion, but it is a good sized house. Brett parks in front of the garage.

"This is it. Not what you would expect of the rich and famous, but this is where I grew up,"

Brett opens the door with his key. Big band jazz music comes from what I assume is the kitchen. Frank Sinatra sings about New York and a voice out of tune sings together with him.

"Hey Brett," Mr. Palms says, coming down the staircase wearing a t-shirt and sweatpants, just socks on his feet.

"Hey Dad. This is Callie,"

"Of course I know who she is. She helped me to score points with the Mrs.," he says shaking my hand.

"Hello Mr. Palms,"

"Call me Sander. You are my daughter in law now. I hope you guys are hungry, she wasn't sure what Callie likes and made three types of lasagna,"

I smile at the thought that Mrs. Palms wants to please me. We walk past a big bare dining table and then to the kitchen, where a smaller table has been set up with pretty plates.

"There she is. It is so nice to meet you. Thanks for guiding Sander about my gifts. I loved all of them," Mrs. Palms says while hugging me. She is also wearing sweatpants and a hoodie.

"You are welcome," I say and she smiles at me.

"Well, the food is ready so we can dig in,"

Everything looks and tastes delicious. She can cook as good as Mom. Sander tells us about the history of the family. His great grandfather had a shop that sold a bit of everything. The next generation went to the strip mall business and from there they became what they are today. Brett looks at him with pride.

Mrs. Palms, now Betty as I'm part of the family, brings coffee and the truffles for all of us to enjoy. I have had them before and they never disappoint.

I feel very relaxed with his family. Of course, they have money but it is just a by product of hard work. Sander could be wearing the most expensive clothes and here he is, sitting next to me, and with a little hole above the knee of his pants. They love comfort. Although that suit he wore to the mall had probably an expensive price tag.

I excuse myself to go to the bathroom and as I come back, I see Betty hugging Brett. It is a beautiful moment and I don't want to interrupt it.

"You know Brett? When your dad and I started dating and he told me that he had kids, I felt very scared and wondered if you would like me. The day that I met you, I fell in love with you in an instant, but could see that you were not ready to have me in your life. I can never replace your mom. I know that your dad loves her more than me," Betty says with a chuckle.

"I missed my mom like hell, still do,"

"I wish I could have met her. From your dad's words I get that she was a special woman. I want to thank you for bringing Callie to our family. She is lovely and fits so well with you. I'm sure that your mom agrees with your choice. I sure do,"

Brett puts his arm around Betty's shoulders and kisses her temple.

"I'm sorry for being a pain in the ass. You have been my mom for the past 19 years. I don't give you enough credit for that," His eyes wander around the room and then he sees me. "Hey Cal, I forgot to do something,"

"What?"

"Callie, this is my mom, Betty Palms. Mom, this is my girlfriend Callie Ericsson,"

Betty starts laughing and crying at the same time, and I feel very proud of Brett for his apology.