Chap 8: Shadowed Hearts

Naruto pov

I silently walked into the next room where Anko and Ibiki were waiting on me. Sasuke and Sakura were gone which worried me since he would be craving blood soon. "Good job on your mission but I'm afraid it isn't over just yet."
"Where did Sasuke go?" I asked completely ignoring everything she just said, I was aware that Hinata was by my side. "Haruno and him were sent out for some reconosince mission." Ibiki answered grimly. "A..A..already?" Hinata muttered, "Why so...soon?" She followed up. "Yeah! They just got back from a dangerous mission. They needed rest." I said trying not to get upset. I owed Sasuke so much in my life that I would never be able to repay him. "Don't worry they won't be in harms way. They will be gone until tonight they are just gathering information on who or what we're dealing with." She said.
"What do you mean?" I asked. Rubbing her neck she sat down, "Ibiki and I are the special unit at the academy you attend. All the other teachers have something special about them but us...." She paused and frowned. "She and I are only good at catching the bad guy and integrating them for information. That's our only focus." Ibiki finished.

"What's that have to do with what I asked. What are we dealing with that's so bad you had to send Sasuke and Sakura out? Why didn't you two just go?" I said in a rush, Hinata placed her hand on my shoulder. "We sent them because they are the perfect team for this mission. No one can stick to the shadows like he can and having that girl as his familiar only increases their chance of success and we didn't go because we are teachers, the academy needs us. Teachers are only permitted to leave if under dire circumstances which this is not, we are simply the head of Sasuke and Sakura's latest mission. As we are of yours, which is why we called you in here." Ibiki said, he nudged Anko who stood.

"That girl they found and brought back with them happens to be very important. You see the assassin they defeated was after her, we have yet to know who wanted her dead but now that she's here we know why." Anko said. Picking up her cup of coffee she took a sip and sighed loudly, "The hunters as well as any other higher ranking monster will be after her for one simple thing." I took a step closer, "That girl carries the Shadow Heart." I just blinked then shook my head. "Yeah and?"
"Newbie. The Shadow Heart has the power to take everyone and anyone's shadow." Ibiki said. I smiled then burst out laughing tho I was the only one.

"And what's so harmful about that?" I asked. Anko sighed and stood, "Losing your shadow is like losing your soul. It's a piece not easily replaced and you won't be the same ever again." I was quiet, that little girl held a lot of power. "So just for today you both will protect her. Sasuke and Sakura will report tonight then I expect all four of you in class tomorrow."
"But ma'am, who will take care of the girl?" Hinata spoke up, I could tell she already cared for the girl. "I will secure a location then be here before you four leave in the morning for classes." Ibiki said while giving me a weird smile. "Long story short. Just don't die." Anko said then together her and her familiar walked out leaving me and Hinata standing around awkwardly. "Yo...You ok Naruto?" Hinata asked. I nodded when I really wanted to shake my head. There's just so much going on already I think it was a mistake coming to this place.

Sasuke pov

"Simple enough." Sakura said from my in front of me. We were staking out the address that Anko had given us, brainstorming Sakura came up with the ideal of becoming a cat and checking out the perimeter for any doors or windows she could use to gain access inside. "Alright I'll keep watch from here. Once you find a place come get me and we'll enter together." I said.
"Right. Remember we're here only to gather information so please don't bite anyone or kill anyone." Sakura said before turning into her pink furred feline self. Smirking I picked her up lightly and walked across the street to the building next to our target and sat her down, "No promises. Now go." She meowed in response then ran around the corner out of my sight.

Time seemed to slowly tick away, I thought back to that little girl I saved. I continued to sense that something was wrong with her but I've ignored it for now. I was just here to get away from the asshole who calls himself my father, or rather king of the Uchiha branch of pure blooded demons. For years he's shunned me, gave me the hardest task just so he could get read of me. It was his fault I was born half demon and half vampire yet he blames me. Then a year ago before Naruto and I moved it all changed, I found out the true reason he let me live.

*Flashback*

I sat in my dark room reading like normal, weather or not I was liked around here mattered little to me. "Would you like me to get you anything sir?" Naruto asked from my doorway. I hated him calling me sir, we are the same age. He is a pure blooded demon from the Uzumaki branch but he works for my family and if he doesn't address me as sir he gets punished by my father. "No I'm fine and stop calling me sir." I mumbled while turning the page. He stayed quiet but didn't move, "You can come in if you want. You don't have to do what my father says." I said.
"It's....It's not that sir. There's rumors going around that....your a hybrid. The first of your kind." I stopped reading, staying quiet I just sat there staring blankly at the pages of my book. A hybrid...a freak in a world of creatures. A monster in a world monsters. That's what I am, "I'm just normal. Just a demon." I muttered.

"You can leave. Thanks." I growled. He nodded and left then it was quiet again. Standing I bent the edge of the page I was reading and sat the book down, walking out of my room I stepped down the steps but something caught my attention. "Its ok he's still young so he's easily manipulated." That was my dads voice but who was he talking to and about. "That may be but he is an Uchiha and one of the most promising I've ever seen." a unfamiliar voice said. I felt myself smirk, was I really that good? "I agree after all he is my first born." My smirk disappeared, it wasn't me he was talking about it was my older brother Itachi. He wasn't home right now.

"Now about your other son..." The other voice said. I felt the tension shift from the other side of the door. "I told you. He's nothing special, just a mistake I can't get read of yet." My father replide with a growl. I felt terrible, "But he's unique." The other voice argued, "He's nothing more then a weapon." My father interrupted. That was all I wanted to hear, while walking back to my room I ran into Naruto who was cleaning dishes. Grabbing his arm I glared at him, "Your bound to my service until I say. Your coming with me." His eyes widened, "Uh...where are we going?" He stuttered.
"Any where but here."

*End Flashback*

I lost count of how long I've been waiting. Sakura should have been back to find me by now. Sighing I noticed that my breath came out as a cloud, the temperature dropped about twenty degrees. "You seem like your waiting on someone." Came a girls voice. Turning quickly I saw a girl who looked around my age or a year younger.(He is eighteen). She had long light blue hair with lavender highlights and matching piercing sky blue eyes. She smiled, "Mind if I keep you company?"

To be continued......