Chapter 11

Four Months Later...

They didn't know what had happened, but Kailee had become cold and never spoke unless it was absolutely necessary.

CeCe and Danny could remember the first time she had yelled at him for calling her Angel.

"Angel, are you okay?" Danny asked softly.

Fury consumed the brown haired girl. "Do not call me Angel! Never call me Angel! I am not! I never was!" She had screamed at him.

Danny was shocked and immediately recoiled away.

"I'm sorry..." He had whispered trailing off, not knowing what had happened to make her mad.

CeCe stared at the girl that had been so happy months ago.

She couldn't accept that the nice Angel she had met on Danny's lawn and reunited her with her mother could be the cold and anger-filled girl that sat there now.

__________________________

Kailee glared at the TV that had displayed static.

She didn't know how long she'd been glaring at the screen, but she didn't really care.

She had made sure that the past few months, her attitude was cold and angry.

It had pushed her friends away, just like she wanted.

'They are not your friends, remember that. They will never accept you.' Kailee silently chanted to herself.

She could hardly believe that God had lied to her.

She knew now that the illusion was fading away. It had gotten easier to hide her wings for longer periods of time.

CeCe and Danny had thought she practiced.

She was the only one who knew that it was because her wings were fading with each passing minute now that she knew.

God didn't see the point in keeping the illusion after she had discovered the truth.

It was pointless, just like his attempts to save her.

__________________________

She stood over the bed of the sleeping figure of her crush.

The boy she cared so deeply for, and he would never return the feelings, not now.

'Danny.' Kailee silently cried in her head.

She wanted to ask him for help, ask him to stay with her through it all.

But he would never care for her like she did him. Maybe he did then, but once he found out the truth, he'd be just as disgusted as Kailee was with herself.

'I hate you! Go back to your daddy and die! I will never love you! I never did!' She could imagine his reaction.

She closed her eyes and fought the tears.

She was a monster. Monster's didn't cry. Monster's didn't have emotions.

And she wouldn't pretend she actually ever did.

Her emotions were the same as her wings. Just another illusion that was fading, day by day.

__________________________

"She's getting worse, CeCe. I can't sit back and watch her wither away."

"We don't have much of a choice here. We don't know what had happened when she was unconscious. We don't know why she's like this. She doesn't talk anymore and lashes out at everyone and everything, including you! You've even cut off connections with Darry and Jason because of this!" CeCe replied.