Chapter 21: In-Laws

Keon's parents never particularly liked her. His mother, Akela, always had a bitter look on her face when she passed Amitola. Akela was also one of the women who said she was not suitable for her son. But compared to Makala, who was a gentle hearted softie, there was no one else. Keon's father Haku was a tough man, with deeply etched tattoos, an intimidating face and bulging biceps. He was always competing with Kiritopa, which was why he wanted his son to be the next chief. He was the one who said Kahana had the spine of a jellyfish and Rongo and Maru were troublemakers, so Keon was the only one fit for royalty. To Amitola, Keon was just a royal pain the butt.

Now, as she was enveloped in an awkward embrace by Akela, who called her "My daughter" while smiling emotionally, Amitola did not know what to think. Why was Akela being nice to her?

"You know, I have always considered you like a second daughter," Akela told her as they sat on the floor of the bungalow. Keon was busy hunting with his father, leaving Amitola with his mother. Great.

"Would you like some coconut milk, Akela?" Amitola offered her a coconut hemisphere, which she snatched greedily. Amitola watched Akela scrape at the tender flesh, white juice dribbling down her chin. For the mother of a chief, she sure did not act like one. But then again, Amitola did not act like the wife of a chief. It was her third day, and so far she had managed to avoid Keon until night, who would be out with the other men. As a woman, Amitola's duty was to stay in their bungalow and converse with the other women, an activity she had never done before as she was always running barefoot with the boys. But those days were over.

"So, Keon tells me you are a wonderful wife," Akela said as she wiped the coconut dribble from her mouth. She had the same dark, dark eyes as Keon, like the bottom of the ocean. Amitola glanced away quickly, afraid if she stared long enough she would fall in.

"Does he?" Amitola knew either Akela was lying, or Keon was. Amitola was anything but wonderful. And she certainly was not wife material. But the crown of flowers on her head and the new tattoo on her ankle said otherwise. She basically belonged to Keon. It was her worst nightmare.

"Yes, all the time. Which brings me to the topic of..." something gleamed in Akela's eyes, something that stirred a feeling of anxiety in Amitola. "Children."

Unfortunately, Amitola had her half of coconut lifted to her lips, and at the mention of children she choked on the milky liquid. "Excuse me?"

"You know I am not getting any younger, and as you are my daughter, and the devoted wife of my only son, I was wondering when you were going to birth me a grandchild," Akela said blithely.

"Well, I -" Amitola stuttered. The thought of bearing children disgusted her, especially if Keon was to be the father. She had hoped she could have somehow escaped the issue, but Akela pressed forward.

"You do know you must continue the royal blood line, and the only way is to -"

"Yes, I know," Amitola interrupted hastily. "But I am not...ready."

Akela cackled, flicking a hand. "Oh, darling, I know you are not ready. You are very young and innocent, I understand that. I just need to know you are...committed."

Amitola tensed. Was Akela testing her commitment to Keon? To be honest, Amitola had no choice. "I am. You know that. I..." Amitola gulped at what she was about to say, suppressing the shudder of nausea within as she muttered, "I love him."

Akela's eyes lit up. "Oh, well that's good, then, isn't it? If you love him, you will bear me children." Her words were almost demanding, as if she were forcing her to do her bidding. Amitola could see the similarity between Keon and his mother now.