Chapter 49: Lost and Found

Just when Amitola had finally found the sister that had been taken from her at such a young age, they had gone and lost her again.

Her eyes darted from face to face as she stormed through the crowd, face numbing from the cold and heart throbbing with determination. It was like a game of predator and prey all over again, except instead of trees there were people, and camouflage was a whole lot easier when there were more possible places to disappear into. Amitola had checked the reception where they had paid for their session, but they had not seen anyone like Lai. She had stood on tables scanning the crowds, yelled out Lai's name so many times her voice had grown hoarse and people gave her weird looks. All these things were for Lai, because without her, she had no one. Lai was her last piece of her old life she could cling onto, a life of innocence and hope, before she became queen.

But then there was Kahana. He was a whole different story, a story she was still trying to write, but couldn't find the words. A story that was left unfinished.

Amitola roamed the area, her determination slowly deflating by each passing minute. Her hope was fading, and finding Lai seemed like an impossible fete now in this big city that was still unknown to her. Even on her island there had been places she hadn't known very well, so how could she find one small girl in such a vast space?

But then she heard a scream that set her heart pumping, and her limbs into motion. Amitola whipped her head to the noise, which had come from somewhere in the crowd behind her, and followed her senses. She squeezed through the crowd, wondering if that scream was Lai, and if something had happened to her. Amitola could never live with herself if something happened to Lai.

That's when she spotted her. Lai. Relief washed through Amitola's veins as she approached, only to realize a minor detail to the picture. Lai wasn't alone. There was someone with their back to Amitola, clutching Lai's arm tightly. It seemed Lai was attempting to wriggle away, but whoever it was had a firm grip on her arm. Immediately, Amitola's instincts kicked in, and she began to sprint, ignoring the pang of pain in her left knee, until she reached the offender. Amitola leaped onto their back, wrapping her legs around their waist and blindfolding them with her hands. Underneath her hands she could feel that it was a male, and as expected, he released his hold on Lai and flailed his arms about, crying out, "Get off!"

Amitola noticed he had an accent in his words, an accent that sounded very familiar, but she couldn't pinpoint where it came from. After living here for a month, she was able to recognize different accents of English from all over the globe, however this one was very unique.

Lai's eyes widened as she watched Amitola ride on this guy's back. But she didn't just ride, she kicked and shrieked in his ear, "Don't touch her ever again, you weirdo!"

Amarissa had taught her that insult. So far it was her favorite one.

"Just get off, you crazy woman!" he yelled, crouching to the ground and shaking her off, but Amitola clung on for dear life.

"Not until you promise to leave her alone!" Amitola cried.

"I wasn't hurting her, I promise!" the guy growled.

Lai finally spoke up. "It's okay. He wasn't hurting me."

"Are you sure?" Amitola checked. She didn't want to climb off his back until he promised not to hurt Lai. Who knows what he was capable of?

"Yes, I am very sure. Seriously, you're embarrassing me!" Lai crossed her arms, glancing around her with doe eyes, and that's when Amitola realized they had an audience. She finally came to her senses, climbing off his back and running over to Lai, enveloping her into a hug.

"Oh, Lai, I'm so glad you're safe!" she cried into her shoulder. "I thought I had lost you forever!"

Lai patter her back awkwardly. "Well, I'm fine, so..."