Chapter 45: Pink Lines

"Welcome to Shake Shack, what would you like to order?"

Amitola did a double take at the sight of Amarissa in uniform, a black cap snugly fitting the crown of her head, which flowed with curls. Beside her, Daniel stifled a laugh.

"When your parents said you got a job here, I didn't believe them. But you actually did," he said incredulously.

Amarissa smiled. "I did, and it's been great, but honestly, it's only my second day," she added in a whisper. "So, what would you like to order?" This time she directed her attention to Amitola, who stood beside Daniel, speechless.

"Two shack burgers with cheesy fries," Daniel answered for her. Amarissapunched in their order into the machine, asking, "Will that be all for today?"

"Yes," Amitola replied after checking with Daniel.

Amarissa slipped a piece of paper with the number 37 across the counter and winked. "Your order will be ready soon!"

Daniel saluted her. "Sweet!"

As they took their seats at one of the tables, Amitola turned to Daniel with raised eyebrows. "She is like a professional," she commented.

Daniel nodded in agreement. "Yeah. I'm real proud of her. She's becoming more independent."

Amitola saw Amarissa as independent, but in a completely different way to Amitola. While Amarissa had a choice on who to depend on, Amitola had no choice but to depend on herself. And Daniel, of course.

It was the fourth day of winter, and the skies were crying. Their umbrella leaned against their table, dripping dry in the warm atmosphere. It was the fourth day of winter, and Amitola had missed her period by three weeks. She always got it on the new moon every month, however, for the first time, it had been skipped. Amitola wondered why as she waited for their meal. They were having dinner at Shake Shack spontaneously. Amitola had only been here once before for lunch with Daniel, Ricardo and Amarissa, and the food had been really good. Compared to fried fish and coconuts, the food here wasn't so bad. 

Amitola heard the number 37 being called out, and immediately stood up to collect their food, followed by Daniel.

"Here you are," Amarissa slid their tray across the counter, flashing them both a grin. "Enjoy."

"Oh, we will," Daniel promised, gripping his tray and smiling. "Thanks, Rissy."

Amarissa nodded her head before marching away to serve another customer at the register. They returned to their table, and Amitola watched her as she devoured her burger. She spoke to the customers with ease, laughing and joking with them, making them feel comfortable; Amarissa would have made a good queen. Even if their lives had never been tampered with by Chip and Boo (just thinking about them brought a tear to the eye) Amitola figured they would still be suited to their roles – a girl in New York and a jungle princess.

"Now that Amarissa works here, let's come here more often," Daniel suggested.

"Yeah, let's do that," Amitola agreed.

"Oh, I can't wait for Christmas," Daniel said, eyes sparkling with excitement. "You're gonna love Christmas. It's my favorite holiday."

"What is it?" Amitola asked curiously, so Daniel launched into one of his explanations of the concept of Christmas, and it seemed to be a very joyous occasion.

"Sounds magical," Amitola said, imagining twinkling lights and snow falling. On the island, it never snowed, it never got that cold. In fact, Amarissa barely remembered it ever getting cold enough for her to shiver. The island had been a tropical paradise, and now that she was in the cold blustery climate of New York, her body had to adjust to wearing so many layers all the time.