Chapter 54: Stop Thinking, Start Living

"What should I get Deandre?" Amarissa wondered aloud. She had been pondering this ever since they parted ways on Friday night at the Four Seasons hotel. Amarissa had known Deandre for around two months (okay, sixty-three days, she may or may not have been counting the days) and she wanted this Christmas gift to be special.

"More importantly, what should I get Tyler?" Tamsin huffed beside her as they browsed through the clothing aisles. Technically, they were shopping for other people, but already Tamsin had managed to spend a little on herself, claiming that she needed a little retail therapy, especially after her parents' divorce. Tamsin had taken it surprisingly well, and since she was an only child, there was no custody battle. She got to keep both her parents separately.

"He's the guy who has everything," Tamsin complained, releasing long and despairing sighs that disturbed their fellow Christmas shoppers.

"Except a girl in his bed," Gloria giggled. "Why don't you be his Christmas present?"

"Wearing nothing but a bow..." Giselle added slyly. Never before had Amarissa known that the G girls were so dirty-minded! But she was getting used to it, just like how she was getting used to calling a gorgeous guy like Deandre her boyfriend.

Tamsin slapped Giselle's arm. "Oh, stop it! You know that would be totally –"

"A great idea!" Georgia interrupted, letting loose another fit of giggles. "Now come on, girls, I don't know about you, but I would kill for a toffeedoodle right now."

"I thought you were on a diet?" Amarissa frowned.

Georgia pressed a finger to her lips. "Ssshh, don't tell my boyfriend," she whispered before linking arms with Giselle and Gloria and leading the pack towards Starbucks, the temple of toffeedoodles and good coffee. Amarissa stuck by Tamsin's side, saying, "I didn't know she had a boyfriend."

"Really? Well, she's dating Blair now. I can't believe you didn't know," Tamsin rolled her eyes as cinnamon and chocolate drifted into Amarissa's nostrils. She didn't care if the baristas always spelt her name wrong – she was getting her caramel macchiato regardless.

"Blair? I never would've thought," Amarissa was totally out of the gossip loop, since most lunchtimes had been spent with the art club. The best part about it was it was completely run by students, with a little help from the art department. For some reason Amarissa hadn't signed up for Art as one of her subjects for junior year, but she was definitely doing it for senior year.

"I wish Amitola could've come with us," Amarissa said as they sipped their hot sweet drinks ten minutes later. They didn't have time to sit around so they were on the move, covering all grounds of the Manhattan mall. So far Amarissa had bought gifts for both her parents, Ricardo and Lai. They had been the easiest to shop for, because they were so obvious with their hints of what they wanted. With Lai she had told Amarissa straight up what she wanted for Christmas, and Amarissa had to admire her straightforwardness. With Deandre, though, it was a whole other story. If she hadn't asked, she probably would've never found out his birthday, or what school he went to. He was that secretive. But when it came to confessing his feelings, there was no subtlety. Amarissa was glad for that.

"Yeah, I think she's really cool," Tamsin agreed as they distracted themselves with the dazzling jewelry displays that kept catching their eyes as they passed. The g girls had gone ahead already, leaving Amarissa alone with her best friend. She was glad that even in shopping trips, Tamsin would choose her to be her buddy.

"Apparently she miscarried yesterday," Amarissa informed her as casually as she could while drooling over an emerald ring.

"Did she? And how did she take it?" Tamsin asked while trying on a charm bracelet with little candy canes and jingle bells dangling off it.