Chapter 65: Home

It was time to do the hardest thing Amarissa had ever faced in her life – even harder than that biology exam. No, this was on a whole different level of hard, because there was no study notes, no preparation that was enough to prepare her for this moment.

"Are you ready?" Deandre questioned her.

"If I say no can we leave?" Amarissa asked sheepishly.

Deandre shook his head. "You're not backing out of this, Riss." He paused for effect, but Amarissa was too nervous to respond with more than a weak smile. "You came with me to meet my mom, so it's time I repay the favor and do the same for you. I will be right beside you, okay?"

Amarissa nodded, biting her lip. "Okay. I think I can do this."

Deandre cupped her face in his palms, deep turquoise eyes penetrating her with their honest caring nature. "Don't think. Just believe you can do it."

Amarissa clenched her fist, pumping it in the air and gritting her teeth. "I believe I can do this!"

"Can you guys hurry up?" Lai asked impatiently, tapping her foot. They were outside the house Daniel had told them Leotie currently resided at. He had paid everything for the Ngaros to be able to stay in Tahiti, since he was really wealthy thanks to his parents. Amarissa wasn't surprised to receive a Polaroid camera for Christmas from Daniel. He had been one of those guys who rebelled against his parents high expectations and decided to pursue his dreams, while still depending on his parents' money. And because Daniel loved them, he would spoil Amarissa and Ricardo with gifts, taking advantage of his money, and Amarissa was perfectly fine with that.

"I'm eager to meet this woman," Bonita rubbed her palms together.

"Me too," Ricardo agreed. "I want to see where Amarissa's gets her ugly looks from."

"You little – "Amarissa smacked Ricardo with her straw hat. "I wish I had my bug spray with me," she muttered.

Julio rapped on the door, until Deandre pointed out that there was also a doorbell. Amarissa laughed as her father shot him a look before pressing the doorbell. Julio was trying to outman Deandre, though that was pointless since Julio was the real man here. Julio had always been a competitive man, however the amount of times he raced with Deandre and had stupid contests like who can hold their breath the longest underwater was getting ridiculous. Boys will be boys, even when they are supposedly "men."

"Hello?" A beautiful woman with grey eyes, tan skin and black hair scraped back into a bun answered the door. She looked around Amarissa's mother's age, except maybe a little younger, she couldn't be sure. She wore an apron over a flowery dress, and she took in all of them with a calm calculating gaze, as if she were reading their souls.

"Are you Leotie?" Bonita asked confidently. Amarissa stared at the woman, wondering if this was indeed the woman who had given birth to her. She didn't share much resemblance with Amarissa, other than the dark curly hair, but her features were different, especially her dark grey eyes.

The woman shook her head. "No, I am Aluna. I've been expecting you," she said mysteriously, letting them into the house. They all shuffled in, wondering what she meant.

"Amitola!" Aluna embraced the girl, who was the same height as her, gripping her like a daughter. Clearly this woman was important to Amitola, so she might have been important to Amarissa if things had gone differently. "I knew you'd come back."

"I had to," Amitola replied, stepping away from her with a wide grin. She glanced at Amarissa, gesturing to her. "This is – "

"Amarissa," Aluna interrupted, gazing at Amarissa like she was an old friend she hadn't seen in years. "The real Amitola has returned."