Chapter 41: Reunion

Amitola was nervous. Should she be nervous? It may just be the most important day of her life – the day she meets her real parents, not to mention seeing Lai again. In the four years Amitola had known her, Lai and she had got along well. Amitola remembered days spent making sandcastles and playing in the waves, and nights where Amitola would sing Lai to sleep and tickle her so that she'd laugh that bubbly laugh of hers and cry, "Stop, Ami, stop!" Lai was the only one who called Amitola Ami. Except that one time, when Kahana called her Ami...

Daniel held the car door open for her, and Amitola stepped out into the chilly autumn air, blinking up at the tall apartment building that towered over her. "You ready?" Daniel asked, offering his arm. Amitola hooked her fingers on his forearm, nodding as she inhaled the crisp air. "I think so."

Daniel knew she was nervous. He also knew why. Amitola couldn't help feeling so incredibly grateful for his presence, for his existence; if he had never washed up on her island over a week ago, she would have never found Lai. The universe was finally doing something right for Amitola's life. She had left her hardships all behind, and was now entering a new world of possibilities.

"I have known Amarissa since she was a little kid," Daniel was saying as he led them into an elevator, pressing a button that had the number thirteen on it. Amitola knew her numbers up to twenty in English. In a week she had managed to learn what most people learn in a year. But then again, Amitola was not most people.

"She is so sweet – always smiling, never complaining. I have never met such a happy kid. Even as a teenager, she's great. You have nothing to worry about," Daniel assured her.

"I am not worried," Amitola replied determinedly. "I am fine."

Daniel chuckled. "Then maybe you can stop digging your nails into my arm. You are hurting me."

Amitola released her hold, which had recently tightened, on Daniel's arm. He rubbed it, wincing slightly. "You sure are a strong woman," he said.

"And you sure are a weak man," Amitola teased.

 "Hey!" Daniel cried, blue eyes glittering with amusement. "I am not weak!"

"You are!" Amitola giggled, poking his side repeatedly. Daniel attempted to block her blows until the doors opened with a ding, and an old lady with the whitest hair Amitola had ever seen walked into the elevator, shooting them a sly smile.

"Aren't you a cute couple?" she grinned.

Daniel's eyes widened as Amitola tucked a lock of hair behind her ear, glancing downwards and shifting away from Daniel. They had only been teasing. "Oh, we aren't a...couple."

The old lady winked. "Okay."

Daniel grabbed Amitola's wrist and yanked her out of the elevator as the doors closed on the old lady, who wouldn't stop grinning at them. Flustered, Daniel dragged her down the dimly lit hallway until they reached a door which he knocked upon.

Ten seconds of painful silence later, the door swung open. Amitola held her breath. It was a boy, around Pio's age. Oh, Pio. Amitola felt tears well up within, but pressed them down. This was not the time to cry.

"Uncle Dan!" the boy exclaimed, olive green eyes lighting up with excitement at Daniel's presence. Daniel wrapped him into a bear hug, saying, "Since when did you get so tall, Ricardo? You're almost my height!"

They pulled away from each other so that Ricardo could reply, "Almost, but one day I'll be taller than you, old man!"

Daniel tackled Ricardo into a headlock, which Amitola found to be quite impressive for a lean man like him. "Say that again, and I'll break your neck!" he threatened playfully.