Chapter 59: Jealousy

"Amarissa!"

The last voice she wanted to hear called her name like his life depended on it. Tentatively, Amarissa turned, hoping she didn't look like a complete wreck, but her hopes were hopeless, as usual. Jordana smirked, looking triumphant and proud of herself as she stared at Amarissa with those conniving eyes. Deandre strode towards her, looking concerned.

"Have you been crying?" he asked, reaching out a hand to cup her face but Amarissa slapped it away, glaring at him.

"Don't touch me!" she snapped, stepping away from him, but he only closed the distance with every step she took backwards. "I saw everything, Deandre. How could you?" Amarissa wished she could be stronger, but her voice failed her at the last word.

Deandre's eyes widened. "Amarissa, I swear it wasn't how it looked!"

"That's what they all say," Amarissa said bitterly, a fresh tear escaping her eyes.

"No, Amarissa, you don't understand. Jordana -"

"Oh, I understand perfectly fine. Just go back to Jordana if you wanted to kiss her so badly." Amarissa's words were laced with venom.

"Amarissa, for fuck's sake, just listen to me!" Deandre grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her, his turquoise eyes blazing with panic. He looked like he was holding on to something desperately, holding onto her. But Amarissa couldn't fall for those eyes again. Not when they led her to heartbreak. However, she listened to him, hoping that whatever he said would fix things because things looked pretty unfixable at that moment.

"We were under mistletoe, and Jordana just launched at me. I couldn't pull away because she wouldn't let go, but -"

"You kissed her back," Amarissa whispered, gritting her teeth. "You could blame her for launching at you, but you can't blame her for your actions. And from them it's pretty clear that you still have feelings for that bitch."

Deandre looked defeated. "Amarissa, that's not true. I don't like Jordana. Not anymore."

"So you admit to kissing her back, then?" Amarissa aimed her index finger at him accusingly.

When Deandre didn't answer, Amarissa clenched her fists, digging her nails into her palms, repressing the sob that suffocated her chest. "Deandre, I trusted you -"

"And you still can, if you just let me -" Deandre suddenly stumbled forward, shoving Amarissa so that she fell onto the floor. As Amarissa tried to get back up, but was struggling immensely due to her stupid stilettos, Angelo slugged Deandre in the stomach, and that's when she realized he was the reason Deandre stumbled in the first place.

A crowd quickly gathered, witnessing the brawl between brothers. Angelo beat Deandre up relentlessly, and Amarissa watched in horror as Deandre just let him, not even defending himself. With each punch Deandre took, Amarissa's heart skipped a beat. Even though he had hurt her by kissing Jordana under the mistletoe, he didn't deserve to get beat up.

"Why the hell did you kiss my girlfriend, prick?" Angelo growled as he wrestled with Deandre on the floor. The music playing was ironically a cheerful Christmas song singing about winter wonderlands and Santa Claus' arrival. Not even Santa could save Deandre now, and Amarissa glanced around at the high school students who watched, some filming it on their phones.

"I didn't kiss her, bro!" Deandre retaliated finally, gripping Angelo's collar. Their suits were all crumpled and Deandre's tie was hanging off his neck, ready to fall off any moment.

"That's not what it looked like to me!" Angelo managed to scramble off Deandre and aim a kick at his torso. "Jordana's mine now, so don't you dare try stealing her from me!"