EPILOGUE

"Five, four, three, two, one. HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Amitola watched in awe as light and color exploded in the black sky, reflecting onto the water. They popped and sizzled as she sat on the edge of the pier, dangling her legs over the ocean beside Kahana.

"I heard that there's a tradition," Kahana said, his voice barely audible over the loud explosions that took place before them. They had snuck away from everyone else to be here, alone under the burst of fireworks. The display was exactly what Amitola felt inside as Kahana leaned toward her, meeting halfway into a soulful kiss.

"Is that the tradition?" Amitola asked with a smile when he pulled away, fireworks popping in his eyes. She spotted a glint of mischief in the midst of it all, but then, Kahana was always up to mischief.

"Actually, there's another one," he said slyly, and before Amitola could grasp the situation, Kahana had pushed her into the water, diving in with her. Amitola surfaced, slicking back her hair and glaring at him.

"That isn't a tradition!" she splashed him.

"Well, it is now!" Kahana laughed, dodging her splashes while retaliating with his own.

They ceased the splashes to watch the fireworks fizzle out above them, which was a truly magical sight, perhaps even more magical than the glowing sea of plankton they had swam through three months ago. Was it really that long ago?

They swam back to the wooden steps that led up to the wooden pier that snaked between the over-water bungalows. Amitola remembered staying in one of them when she had first come here. A lot had changed since then. For one, she had Kahana with her, and though they were both dripping wet, she grabbed his hand, smiling up at him.

"Happy new Year," a deep familiar voice said, and Amitola was too busy smiling at Kahana to realize where they were heading – back to the hotel pool, where a big new year's party was taking place. And they had been invited – including Amarissa's family which was now Amitola's family, and...

"Keon," Amitola was indifferent to him now. Though he had hurt her in the past and made her feel horrible inside, that was all in the past now, and when she had seen him that day at the house, she realized it was stupid to hold grudges. She didn't need to waste all her energy on hating Keon, because a small part of her had already moved on from that. She was mature enough now to realize she no longer hated him. She merely just disliked him.

Keon grinned at both of them, a glass of champagne in his hand and a chain of flowers dangling from his neck. His cheeks were flushed and he actually looked...happy. What surprised Amitola more was that Makala was beside him, also looking joyful. Ever since her mother's death, Makala had been a little down in the dumps, but clearly Keon had cheered her up somehow. Amitola would never understand Makala's love for him, but that was for Makala to know and Amitola to not find out.

"Why are you guys wet? Did you go for a swim?" Makala questioned, a slight slur to her words.

"Yeah we did, actually," Kahana replied, sounding proud about it as he slung a damp arm around Amitola. "Happy New Year."

Makala giggled. "It definitely is a happy new year. I'm so happy!" she raised her arms to the sky, dancing about so that her curls whipped the air and her flower crown fell lopsided.

Keon watched her in amusement. "Maybe a little too happy, Makala," he chuckled as Makala swayed slightly, complaining that she was dizzy, and he steadied her with a hand, genuine concern crossing his features. Wow, Amitola never thought he was capable of concern for another human being other than himself, but it wasn't the first time she had been wrong. Amitola had been wrong about a lot of things, and yet everything still turned out right in the end. 

"Lai's looking for you two, by the way," Keon informed them, downing the rest of his drink.

"Then let's go," Amitola said, following Keon and Makala, who gripped on to each other as if they were a couple. Maybe they were, who knew?

Lai rushed up to Amitola and Kahana, wide-eyed. "Guess what?!" she exclaimed.

"What?" Amitola cocked an eyebrow. Lai looked like she had just been attacked or something. She leaned forward, bringing Kahana and Amitola in for a secret. "Ricardo kissed me," she whispered.

"Ricardo did what?" Kahana sounded surprised. Lai pressed a finger to his lips, shushing him.

"He kissed me," Lai repeated dreamily, touching her cheek. "Right here."

Amitola laughed at the girl's innocence. "Oh, Lai, you are such a drama queen. It was only on the cheek."

Lai's mouth gaped. "Only? This is a big deal, Amitola! This is, like, second base!"

Kahana and Amitola just laughed at her. "You are so innocent, Lai," Kahana said, patting her head.

"What should I do?" Lai asked desperately.

Amitola sighed, her eyes spotting Ricardo, who was busy shoveling his mouth with food up ahead. Sometimes she couldn't believe that boy was her brother. "You should go talk to him," she suggested.

Lai rolled her eyes. "I've already talked to him enough. But he's never kissed me before." She said it like it was a dirty secret.

"I know what you should do," Kahana chimed in, a mischievous gleam in his eyes. Oh, no. What was he going to say?

"What?" Lai asked, blinking at him.

"Push him into the pool!" Kahana burst out laughing. Lai's eye slit up. "Good idea!"

"No, not a good idea!" Amitola called after her, but she was already sprinting away to obey Kahana's words. They both watched as Lai snuck up on Ricardo and shoved him into the pool. The people surrounding the pool laughed at the fully clothed boy in the pool, shaking his fist at Lai.

"You are so dead, Lai!"

From the amount of times everyone was saying that lately, they should've all been dead by now, but they weren't. In fact, in the first few minutes of the New Year, Amitola had never felt so alive. And free. She was no longer tied down by responsibilities, expectations and rules. She was now living by her own rules, and the first rule decreed that she was allowed to love whoever she wanted, and in this case, it was Kahana.

The second rule, however, was something she had stuck to all her life i.e. a tradition. It was also her favorite rule – revenge. Amitola hadn't forgotten Kahana's mischievous antics, such as the snow down her shirt, and she certainly wasn't going to let go the fact that he had pushed her into the cold dark ocean moments before.

"Hey, Kahana," Amitola pressed her palms to his chest, biting her lip to stop herself from smiling as she slowly guided him to the edge of the pool, however he didn't seem to notice this.

"What?" Kahana had eyes for no one else but her, and it was sweet and all, but she hadn't forgiven him. Amitola's forgiveness was only deserved after she served her favorite dish – a dish best served wet.

"Have a nice swim!"