How to Fall in Love (8)

Copyright © 2013 by roastedpiglet (of Wattpad)

     All rights reserved. No part of this book may be reproduced in any form or by any electronic or mechanical means, including information storage and retrieval systems, without written permission from the author. 

❀❃❀❃❀

c h a p t e r  e i g h t

[  h o w  t o  v i s i t  h i s t o r y  ]

            After Finn barked out the two words my high school teachers always said, the two words that were utter saving grace, Alex ushered me out.

            We were silent the whole time, but the silence was comfortable, indulging. As we rode the elevator from the twentieth floor with only the two of us inside, I took it as my cue to speak. "Thank you, Alex." I told him, smiling so profusely that I doubted my cheeks were still intact. "I finally have a place to stay! For being so kind to me the whole time, I'm really thankful that God gave you as a friend."

            The elevator went down two floors before he gradually broke in a wide grin. "I didn't even do anything."

            "Yes, you did!" I debated ardently. "You helped me a lot, I can swear it on my life, and for that I will never, ever, ever forget it, Alex. Thank you so much."

            "Well, actually," he said, rubbing his hand behind his neck nervously, "I should be the one to thank you."

            I blinked. "What?"

            "I'm younger than Finn, he always lost to me in purpose, but I knew about it, I felt it, and I told him I didn't want it. I told him he could beat me when he can, because I'd much prefer it that way, and he did. He beat me with the company, so I turned out to be the second heir, while he was promoted to CEO."

            The elevator stopped at a floor, and in came a man who no older than I was, clad in a business suit a shade darker than the rest. Alex recognised him, but waited until the man greeted him first.

            "Good afternoon, sir," the man said curtly after moment. He was stiff as he stood in between Alex and me, staring straight ahead.

            Two floors later, two women got in, and five floors later, Alex and I were alone once more.

            When I looked over Alex, puzzlement was splayed lucidly across his forehead, his brows creasing in the middle. He faced me, a strange mixture of what appeared to be determination and motivation shining in his eyes. "Look, there's something I've been meaning to ask you since you mentioned it in Finn's office. It may seem out of the place, and I apologise if it may appear intrusive." He took a breath, making me hold mine. "Mia, what do you mean by you 'finally have a place to stay'?"

            I immediately clipped my hand to my lips, mentally berating myself for being so tactless. My eyes shifted to the LED across the top and groused when I saw we were still a decade distant from the lobby. Ground, you can swallow me whole now. I promise I won't press charges, I thought helplessly.

            But somehow, when we did get down to the lobby, Alex had already squeezed the answer from me, and now he knew my situation. At least, half of it: that I had no place to stay because I'd been kicked out, and I had neither friends nor family to help me out. Mr. Kendrick was the last of them, but he was the one who initiated the despairing problem in the first place.