Chapter 4 ~ Acceptance

Jay's P.O.V (Jessica)

I've been living with Penny who happens to be the alpha of the pack and the boys for a few months now and let me tell you my life is great!

I found out that Josh, Jake and James or the three J's are in fact triplets. How cool is that? They are the same boys that helped Penny bring me home with them and I'm glad they did because they are now my best friends. The rest of the pack The Midnight Jet Pack calls us the terrible j's. We like to play pranks on our fellow pack mates and when there's a rouge attack we are ruthless. Yeah, I may not be able to shift but we use that to our advantage and besides I can throw a mean punch. No one messes with me. Even though we play all of these pranks, we are very loyal to the pack. The boys and I would never let anyone or anything harm them and they know that.

I remember when I first arrived at the pack house it was in complete chaos.

The ride was deathly silent and awkward. I tried to make conversation with the boys but they shot me down with one word answers. In the end I just stopped trying. The majority of the ride I gazed at the side of the van not really thinking about anything.

My eyelids felt really heavy and my eyes were starting to itch. It was only now that I realised how tired I actually was.

I must have fallen asleep because I was awoken to a loud crash. My eyes flashed open as the van rocked backwards and forwards from the impact. I gripped the sides of the seat that I was sitting on as the van came to a standstill.

"We really should invest in some seat belts." I heard Penny mutter under her breath. I couldn't help but agree with her.

The back doors at the back of the van had come off and the scene before us was devastating. Wolves were attacking each other, blood was everywhere and a few bodies were lying limp on the ground. Unmoving.

I stared at the scene before me terrified. I had never had to deal with attacks like this because 1) My old pack was feared by all rouges, 2) The pack wouldn't let me help and 3) I couldn't shift. I stayed seated watching the wolves fight. The slashing of claws on skin, the clamping of jaws and the tearing of skin and muscle as they hit their mark.

I was brought out of my shock state when I heard a high pitched scream. I instantly recognised that the scream had come from a child. Anger boiled inside of me. How could they attack a child? An innocent child? Without knowing what I was doing, I exited the van and slowly made my way over to where the scream had come from. All around me I noticed that all the wolves had stopped fighting and were now all looking at a tall, muscly man. He radiated power and just by looking at him I wanted to go and hide somewhere. But what I saw made me stop my cowardly thoughts and the anger returned. The man had a sneer on his face as he held a knife to a defenceless little girl's neck. I also noticed that the rouges had the whole pack pinned down. I listened to the whines and yelps coming from them. They desperately tried to get the rouges off them but the man made the girl yelp in pain, their bodies immediately stiffened.

"If any of you mutts make another move I won't hesitate to kill her." The girl whined softly at his words. The sound only increased my anger.

No one had noticed me yet so I used this to my advantage. I looked around me and my eyes fell on a gun lying on the ground. Without thinking I quickly snatched it up and crept up behind the man.  As I crept up behind him and quickly glanced at the wolves behind me. Their eyes showed their confusing as to how I was and what I was to do, but to be honest I had no clue what I was doing myself. The rouges had long forgotten the pack and had released them as they knew they wouldn't make a move, otherwise they would risk the life of the girl.

The man had still not noticed my presence as I lifted the gun up and aimed it at his left shoulder.

"Let the girl go," I said in confident and demanding tone. Well at least that was what I was hoping for. The man spun around, still holding the little girl and his eyes held surprise and fear but he quickly masked his emotions. It was now that I really got to study his features. He was rather tall and the light stubble he had showed that he must have been in his late twenties maybe early thirties. He had short black hair and his eyes were extremely dark. I would have thought he was attractive but the fact that he was willing to kill a child only showed how evil he was.

"What did you say?" His voice was menacing.

"You heard me." I tried to keep up my strong appearance. The gun was still perfectly aimed at his left shoulder. "Let the girl go." I dragged out the words to emphasise what I wanted.

"I don't think I will." He sneered at me. The girl let out another whimper as I saw him press the tip of the knife against her neck.

"I won't say it again. Let the girl go!" He didn't react even react. I stared deep into his eyes and saw something pass through them. I instantly knew what he was about to do. Without hesitating I pulled the trigger of the gun. The shoot echoed around the clearing. I watched as the bullet hit its mark and I sprang into action. Even though I didn't have the benefits of a werewolf like the speed, the strength or the senses. I had the adrenaline flowing through my body, giving me the strength to do what I was about to do.

He was lying on the floor howling in pain still clutching onto the girl. When I reached them I yanked his arm form around her waist and placed her behind me. I stared down at the man as he stared back at me shock swimming throw his eyes.

"You should have listened to me." I tutted. I brought the gun back up and pulled the trigger once again. Everything was quiet. No one dared to breathe. I looked around and saw the rouges fleeing into the forest with a few pack members closely on their tails.

The adrenaline rush that was running through my body instantly vanished and I let the gun drop to the floor. A presence behind me brought me out of my dazed state. I turned around and faced the little girl that I had just saved. I crouched down to her level and examined her neck for any wounds. Thankfully there wasn't any.

"Are you okay?" I asked her in a soothing voice.

"Y-yeah I'm okay. Thank you." Her voice was quiet and broken as she spoke. She shocked me by pulling me into a hug and squeezing tightly. I hugged her back and whispered soothing words as she started to cry. I pulled away from her and whipped her tears.

I smiled at her, "There's no need to cry. You're safe now." She nodded.

"What's your name?" She asked.

"Jessica but you can call me Jay."

"That's a pretty name, my names Abi."

"It's nice to meet you Abi but I think your mummy and daddy are worried about you. You should go see them." She gave me another hug before she sprinted away from me and into her mother's outstretched arms. Her mother sobbed as she clutched her little girl to her and her dad pulled them both into his chest, protecting the both of them.

I was still stood staring at the family when a hand clamped down on my shoulder. I looked around and saw a smiling Penny.

"You were extremely brave Jay. I thank you my dear."

From that moment on I was accepted into the pack with open arms and respected by all.