Chapter 22 ~ First Date

Cameron’s P.O.V

I can’t believe I actually did it. I finally asked Jay out on a date and not just any date our first date together. I’m feeling over the moon right now but I have no idea what to do or where to take her, I kind of know what she likes but I don’t know what she would want to do as our first date. Maybe I should have dropped subtle hints before I asked her. It’s a bit too late now.

I continued to pace in my bedroom scratching my head trying to come up with some ideas that Jay would enjoy but all I could think of was going out for a meal, the carnival that was here for the week or perhaps going to a movie. I shook my head scolding myself; I need to be more original. Think; think of what Jay would like to do.

“Calm down there Romeo or you’re going wear away the floor.”

I jumped out of my skin and stumbled almost falling flat on my face. I steadied myself then turned around to see Penny giving me a warm smile.

“What’s eating at you?”

“I ask Jay out on a date an-” Penny squealed. “And I don’t know what I’m going to do!” I let out a defeated sigh and slumped down on the bed running my fingers through my hair in frustration. I felt the bed dip besides me.

“Don’t beat yourself up about it Cameron. I know that whatever you decide to do Jay will love it.”

“How do you know that?”

“Jay will love it because she will be with you, spending time with you, getting to know you better, that’s all she wants. You don’t need to do anything extravagant all you have to do is be there with Jay.”

“Getting to know each other better.” I repeated quietly thinking it over in my head.

“Exactly!”

“But I still don’t know what to do!”

“Do you want me to help you?” Penny asked.

“Yes! Yes please.” I begged.

“Let’s get going then!”

Penny linked her arm through mine and dragged me out of my room, down the stairs and into the garage where she grabbed her keys to her range rover. We climbed into the car and sped out of the garage. I was confused where could we be going? I thought we were just going to talk ideas with each other and go from there.

“Penny, where are we going?”

“We’re going to Jay’s special place.” She smiled to herself.

“Jay’s special place?” I questioned. Penny nodded. “Where is it?”

“You’ll find out soon and you’re going to love it.”

Penny and I sat in silence with the radio humming softly in the background as I watched the scenery race past the window. The trees surrounding us disappeared when I realised we were in town. Penny drove us straight through and we were once again surrounded by trees. I was growing more confused by the minute. Where could we be going?