1 - Plants

ship: poofless
prompt source: tumblr user (caprxgers)
word count: 600

"Listen- I'm so sorry. I swear it was an accident. Like, ok. I was lighting this cigarette because my friend left this pack of cigs at my house so obviously I'm going to try smoking, I mean who wouldn't? I'm young and dumb," The cute brown haired boy rambled to me. I knew him as the boy next door who had a clumsy way of doing things. I've never shared a conversation with him, but I quite often saw him dropping groceries on the way into his house or watched as he tripped over the hose while watering his lawn. I found him endearing.

"So I dropped the match on accident and I went to catch it, but halfway through reaching for it I realized it was still on fire," He rubbed the back of his neck. "I was too close to catching it to pull my hand away, so I went for the strategy of shoving it away midair so it wouldn't burn me, right?"

This was the first time we've talked. He's quite the character.

"I shoved it and it was so epic! I was like 'nyoom' and 'shwooo' and it went flying away from me and I was so relieved because I wasn't going to burn myself," He completed his sound effects with actions to go with. I laughed a little to myself.

"I thought it was all good, but then I watched in horror as it flew right onto your plant and in my head I was thinking; shit. I ruined his plant," He smiled shyly, "So I watched as it burnt to a crisp with sad smoke rising from the ashes. I felt really bad- I still feel really bad," He continued. He put his finger up in a 'wait here' sign and ran to the street from my front door where we were talking. Or should I say where he was talking. I didn't really care about the plant that he somehow managed to burn down. It was just a plain fern, nothing special. But yet I watched from my porch as he opened his car door and started hauling plant after plant out of the trunk and back seat.

Then he began running them over here. Soon enough, there were about thirty plants sitting on my lawn and an out of breath boy standing in front of them.

I couldn't help myself. I started laughing. This was by far the craziest thing anyone has done for me. I pointed at them and kept laughing. I couldn't catch my breath. Once I calmed down, I spoke.

"Bro, you didn't have to do all this for me," I chuckled lightly. He smiled at me.

"Of course I did, I burnt your cute plant. But I didn't know what kind it was to replace it, so I bought one of each at the store," He grinned proudly. I shook my head in disbelief. A very cute boy from next door just bought me a bunch of flowers and plants. I definitely was not complaining.

"I'm Rob, by the way," I stuck out my hand and the boy ran up to shake it.

"Preston," He said confidently.

"Adorable name for an adorable boy," I winked. His face turned a light shade of pink and I laughed. "Come in for tea," I invited. He looked to the plants and back at me.

"Gladly, Mr. Robert," He laughed, walking in through the now open door I was holding for him. But not without stumbling over his feet once or twice.