11 - Dress

Ship: poofless

Word count: 1100

Summary: Rob likes to wear clothes. I mean- a lot of us do. But he likes to wear special and fancy clothes. Cute clothes. Dresses and skirts in particular. It's a secret, though.

Rob's Point of View

I stood in line at the checkout counter, glancing around to see if there was anyone I knew. I clasped the pink and black fabric of a dress in my hand.

"Hello, sir. What can I do for you today?" The cashier asked when it was my turn to pay. I jumped, slightly startled from the unexpected voice that was his.

"Just..." I breathed out and shakily put the dress on the counter, "Just this, please."

He didn't seem phased at all which was a relief. He probably thought it was for a friend, or family. Or maybe he didn't think of it at all. He scanned it with a 'beep' and shoved it inside a blue bag.

"14.75$ is your total," He smiled as I handed him the money. He gave me change which I grabbed and handed me the bag, which I also took before scurrying out of the store and into my car. Safety. I let out a sigh of relief before flicking on the radio and driving back to my apartment. With all the nerves out of my system, I was actually really excited to try on the dress I bought. It was black with pink flowers littering the surface. The bottom reached my knees and the back had a cut out. I was really happy I found it.

Once I got home, I immediately bee lined for my room after throwing my stuff down on the kitchen counted, minus the dress of course. I pulled that out of the bag and held it up to myself. I was almost jumping with excitement. I haven't done this in about a month. Preston was staying over and I had to keep those clothes hidden away, deep in my closet. No one but me could know about this. They'd for sure hate me and probably use it as blackmail.

I finally pulled the dress over my shoulders and glanced down, admiring the pretty material. It fit really nicely. I jumped over to in front of the full length mirror and examined myself further. It fit nicely, but not so much my hips. They were quite broad for this. I sighed, wishing it fit perfectly instead of really nicely. I swayed my hips back and forth before deciding to keep it on and do my chores in it. Preston was still staying in Canada, but Brayden came to visit and they went out to see a movie and then go for dinner. I chose to stay home and clean up. As well as dress up.

I started the chores in the kitchen.

"Fuck!" I cursed loudly as I stubbed my toe on the island. I grabbed my foot and surveyed the damage. Of course, there was nothing wrong but it felt like there was someone crushing my toes with boulders. "Shit, that really hurt," I whined, quieter this time.

"Rob?" I heard a concerned voice from outside the door.

I stopped moving as I heard the jingle of keys and then the creak of the door opening. I was still wearing the dress.

"Rob, are you okay?" Preston asked as he made his way into the kitchen. I stood frozen next to the counter.

"What are you wearing?" He asked, pausing. He eyed me up and down.

"N-Nothing?" I whispered after a moment.

"Is that a dress?" He peered, squinting slightly.

"Uh," I felt my face heat up. I wanted to cry. Preston, my best friend, was going to leave me over some stupid mistake. The more I thought about it, the more I felt the need to cry. Tears pricked the corners of my eyes and my throat felt tight. "It's... I'm not... I'm sorry," I blubbered as I started to sob. I was going to lose him. He thinks I'm a freak.

"Hey, whoa," Preston said softly, walking over to me. "It's okay," He whispered, putting a warm hand on my shoulder. I spared a glance at him. His expression was laced with care and also hints of confusion.

"You're going to tell everyone," I whispered sadly. I felt his arm move down to my back and start to rub circles of comfort.

"If you don't want me to, I'll tell no one."

I uncovered my face and looked at him.

"You won't?"

"Of course not, I just want to know why you're wearing a dress. It's cool, Rob, yeah? There's nothing wrong with it," He paused. "Is it gender? Are you trans or- I don't know, like. Genderfluid?"

I shook my head quickly and then stopped. Again, I shook my head, but slower this time. Was it about gender?

"It's not gender, I don't think. It's just, I like the way it feels. I like how it's flow-y and pretty and how it makes me look," I explained, tears drying on my cheeks as I calmed down and stopped crying.

"Oh, gotcha," He said, leaning into me and pulling me into an embrace. I hugged back. "Rob, whatever you wear or however you feel, I'm going to support you. I love you," He mumbled into my shoulder.

I felt happiness wash through my body.

"I love you, too."

He pulled away and I missed the contact already.

"So, like. Is this something you'd like to do more often?" He asked, curiosity filling his voice.

I nodded shyly.

"What about make up?"

"I've... Never tried that," I said slowly.

"Would you like to?"

I thought about it and then nodded once more.

"My sister always asked me to do her makeup when we were younger, maybe I could do yours one night and then we can have dinner and watch a movie?" Preston suggested, a smile lighting up his features.

"That sounds so amazing," I smiled, happy that he was supportive and willing to try things with me. "Thank you," I said after a bit.

He leaned forward and pressed his lips to my cheek.

"C'mon Rob, let's go watch this new anime, it has..." I tuned out, but he continued to chatter about the show. I followed him to my living room and onto the couch where we laid down together. I wrapped my arms around his waist as he set up the TV.

"I love you," I whispered again.

"You too," I heard a reply as the show began to play.