10 - Hot Chocolate and Confessions

pairing: poofless
word count: 800
theme: wintry confessions and hot drinks with a side of cuddling
merry christmas!! (happy holidays too!)

Rob's Point of View

"Rob, how is it even possible that it's still snowing?" Preston asked, looking out the window in my living room. I laughed, getting up from the couch and walking over to him. I stood close. He glanced up at me and bit his lip in annoyance. He was probably too used to the texan weather.

"It's Canada, bro," I replied, watching the white flakes fall from the sky. It was really pretty.

"There's no way either of us are driving to my hotel in this weather," He stated, groaning and walking into the kitchen.

"Spend the night, P," I called after him.

"Are you sure? We said..." He trailed off.

"I know what we said, but look at the situation."

I heard him sigh softly. He was referring to an older conversation we had. He was drunk. And he skyped me, confessing that he loved me. The next morning, when he was sobered up, I called him back and asked about it again. He said he still loved me. It wasn't just a drunken lie.

Except he hung up after that and wouldn't answer my calls. He wasn't even responding to me at all. He was ignoring me. Until he texted me and said he was in Canada and I needed to pick him up.

So I picked him up and he told me this was a trip to get over me. He wasn't going to spend any nights here. He wasn't going to drink from the same cup as me or cuddle me on the couch like we have in all our previous visits.

It was awkward at first. It still is. I made a mistake by not telling him that his feelings were mutual. By not telling him 'I love you' back. So now he was in my house and he was avoiding me. All while trying to keep our friendship like before.

I stayed in the living room until I heard a kettle whistling with boiling water.

"Ba- Rob," He coughed, "Do you want hot chocolate?"

"Yes please!" I shouted back. 'Ba-'? Was he about to say babe?

Butterflies flew through my body like a rushing river. I went into the kitchen finally, taking a mug of hot cocoa from the brunette.

"Thanks, boo," I whispered, using the nickname I always used. He swatted my hand, mumbling: you're making this hard.

I sat at the table, beckoning Preston over with my hand.

"C'mere," I called, "I need to talk to you."

"About what? I don't want to," He replied, being stubborn. I left my mug on the table and walked to him, taking his hot chocolate in one hand and placing it back on the table. I returned to him and picked him up, bringing him to the kitchen table.

"Sit, I need to tell you something."

He sat.

"Preston," I started, suddenly feeling very nervous about confessing. "I never told you this, maybe it's because I'm an idiot or because I'm just shy, but," I trailed.

"It's okay Rob, you can tell me," He smiled encouragingly.

"I love you, too."

I saw his face fall and immediately I was worried. Did I say the wrong thing?

"You're lying, you don't. You can't. You're lying," He chanted.

"Preston."

"You're lying to me," He whispered.

"I'm not, P, I'm not. I love you, okay? I love you so much."

He shook his head. I took a sip of the hot chocolate.

"Preston," I said softly, willing him to believe me.

"Do you?"

"I do, I really do," I answered honestly.

"Oh."

I decided to get up and cross the kitchen to his side of the table. I leaned down to his level and placed a warm hand on his cheek.

"May I?"

"Please, oh God, please Rob."

I closed the gap, gently pressing my lips to his.

Upon pulling away I whispered, "I love you."

He nodded, replying with, " I love you, too."

I went back to my seat and sipped on the hot drink while talking to Preston, falling back into a comfortable conversation. Like we used to.

Once we finished our drinks, we moved to the couch and flicked on the TV. 'Elf' was playing.

"Rob!" Preston yelled excitedly, "I love this movie!"

I pulled him onto my lap and rested my chin on his shoulder. My arms snaked around his waist as I pulled him close.

"Happy holidays, Rob," He whispered, his eyes glued to the screen as we snuggled together while watching the Christmas film.

"Happy holidays," I whispered back. I kissed his neck softly. I saw him smile.

I made the right decision to tell him.