14. The Dark Forest

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

The photo of Quindlen is not mine either. I still wait anxiously to meet them! 😉

* * * * * * * *

It felt unnatural to me to stand there in the middle of the field and have my two companions brace themselves, before the scenery around us suddenly became distorted and we could pass through what felt like a rubber emulsion.

Total darkness swallowed us and I couldn't see anything. Darkness had always scared me, but here unnerving sensations made my entire body stand on guard, sending shills along my spine, and sounds made my blood freeze. Low growls vibrated and I was glued still on the spot, feeling utterly abandoned. A grip around my arm made me yelp.

"Hush, we don't want them to hear us," Ty whispered and I had never been happier to hear his voice. I instantly swivelled towards him and clung around his body with desperation. "Here, here." He did his best to comfort me with pads on my back.

"If you two are quite finished, we should get out of here." Quin sounded annoyed and in some way Ty seemed to relate.

"I can't see a thing," I whispered.

"Well, we can so you'll have to trust us." Ty gently broke free from my grip and took my hand instead. That hand became a lifeline for me and I would do anything to not let it go. All my senses were on high alert as I stumbled forward in a pitch black forest.

Once in a while I heard my friends and guardians whisper instructions quietly, but mostly we kept the silence. Sounds around us reminded me of the nightmares I had as a small child; I hadn't thought about them in so many years that it was almost as if I had suppressed them completely. Now they came back to me with full impact and I almost whimpered like I had done as a child.

With nothing to see, my mind kept swirling with memories I had long lost.

My nanna's words came back to sooth me and I missed the old lady immensely. Her name 'Marciana Eleonore' swept through my mind and somehow thoughts of my grandmother seemed to calm me down in the same way she had always offered security.

The name 'Eirian' popped into my head as well and I was amazed as I stumbled forward in the dark; led by my two companions. That name, my grandmother had spoken of as I was a small child, but I hadn't heard it in decades now. How could that suddenly push forward in my mind? I decided that it was a profound need for comfort and a way to distract myself from what lurked in the darkness that surrounded us.

We constantly needed to dodge trees that apparently stood close together in our way. It felt very unnerving to not know if I had my eyes open or closed. I stumbled on roots that seemed to have surfaced simply to make anyone brave or stupid enough to enter this domain trip to be devoured by this inhospitable environment. I wondered if the ground would actually swallow anyone up that was unfortunate enough to trip. A shudder ran through me and the blokes clearly noticed.

"It's okay, I've got you." Quin took my other hand in a firm grip and the concern sent tears over the edge of my lashes; if I had been able to see at least a hand in front of me, it would be blurry. Tears started to trickle down my cheeks from the strain and I stumbled yet again. "I have to stop and rest," I sobbed tired. It felt like we had walked for a couple of hours.

"It is not long now before we'll be out if here."

"You can see? I've become blind," I admitted my worst fear and started to cry even harder now and the blokes stopped.

"No you haven't." Ty put his arm around me as he whispered. "We're just superior to humans." He had a comforting tone and the taut was clear. I smiled through my tears.