21. Missing

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

"What did she mean with my inheritance?"

Quin looked up at me as we walked back from Sorcha's house. "The magic of course." Sorcha had spoken as if she knew my mother, but she refused to venture into the topic. I had frankly been grateful not to speak of her; I still couldn't process why I had been abandoned to an upbringing with my... sister?

"Are you implying that I'm a witch?" I narrowed my eyes grateful for the distraction Quin offered.

His eyes slid over my figure. "You're at least wicked."

My bodyheat instantly rose and a, for me, very audible poof coloured my cheeks pink. Instant embarrassment hid the desire in me. It felt strange to desire such a young and attractive man; in my mind I still felt like an old lady. "Perhaps we should change the subject."

"Why Francine?" He grabbed my hand, making me pivot towards him. He towered over me and noted how I swallowed hard. My eyes were wide open in alarm. "Why would anyone not want to talk about you, Francine?" He affectionately removed a strand of hair from my face and I was instantly even more on edge.

The sweet scent of magic I had felt so clear in Sorcha's place, now started to swirl again. Suddenly it started to tickle my skin and I felt it trickle up along my arms from Quin's grip. His face was close enough to mine as if he was about to kiss me. "Accept that there is magic within you and we sparkle together," he whispered before he dropped me abruptly and walked off.

I swallowed hard and took a few calming breaths before I followed him with a hard-set expression.

Was that really true; that I had some kind of magically abilities?

* * *

Ty stood by the railing on the back patio, looking irritated when we arrived back to the sittingroom. "Where have you been?"

"We just sneaked down to the kitchen to search for spicebiscuits. I couldn't resist the urge." Quin's eyes were filled with mischief. "I remember how we used to chow on those, way back when and I just wanted to share some with Fran here."

I was amazed by this fabrication of lies; we had indeed walked through the kitchen but we had not had any biscuits.

Ty seemed to be vaguely aware of the memory between them. "Yes right, they are definitely my favourites." He smiled at his friend before he turned that attention to me. "I hope you have slept well."

I was somewhat disturbed by the question but more in the lack of concern that accompanied it. "I have, thank you. Now I would really like some breakfast." I forced a smile out.

"May I accompany you?" Ty held his arm out and with a doubting glance at Quin, I hooked my hand in Ty's arm and we all went to the diningroom.

A buffet table was loaded with delicacies as the previous mornings, and I felt how the morning walk had given me a galloping appetite. My stomach churned and my mouth started to salivate at the sight. "Wow, this looks amazing!" I loaded my plate enthusiastic and couldn't even wait to sit down until I put a piece of fruit in my mouth. "So what happens now when you've gotten home to your family?" I asked as we sat down by the table.

Ty looked up at me and his eyes seemed shadowed with something I couldn't grasp. "I promised to help you figure things out and I will of course do that. I am a man of my word." His posture was straight; his head held high.

"Have you found out anything more?" Quin feigned a mild curiosity when he was actually very curious.

"Her grandmother is actually her mother."