41. Public appearances

Written 2016 by VeGirl ©

After just a few weeks of practice at court, the Queen decided that it was time to formally introduce me as the new addition to the family.

The event was being held at the Palace and Ty and I had taken up residence there two days before. Despite the slight hysteria, we were actually enjoying ourselves. The usually busy schedule of his finally had gaps in it where I fit in.

We managed to sneak out to the treehouse that I had been to with Quin, and I finally was trusted with stories from their childhood. It was apparently much due to these boys friendship that bridges had been built between the light and dark elf communities.

"Yes," he answered to my enquieries about it, "there had been wars for decades between us, but our Queen has built trust that secede fire." He smiled at the mention of his aunt. "She has made a reputation of herself; the Queen of Alfheim."

I returned his smile. "Is it usual that the Queen is successor?"

"Yes," he sounded surprised. "Of course, there is no discrimination between genders."

We had left the house and were strolling back toward the Palace. "I hope that will apply in human world soon."

"But you have a Queen as ruler, not?"

"Yes, but the normal mortals could benefit more from that, you would think."

The house was filled with flowers as we returned and we were approached by people who informed us where we were supposed to be early the next morning. I thanked the Gods that we had gotten a little time on our own before this show got on the road. Ty looked like he thought the same.

* * *

It was my first public appearance and I had been dressed and pampered for hours beforehand. The pink fluffy organza rustled softly and I wondered how Cinderella had felt during her first public appearance.

I smiled and walked half a step behind Ty and his aunt, the Queen.

A silent thank you I sent to Mrs Canto as the room sank silently into a deep curtsie and I stood with my hand on Ty's arm as I was formally introduced. Everybody rose at Nuvian's command, smiled and applauded. My stomach was in a knot and I wondered how many actually wanted to stab me in the back and take my place.

As we decended the stairs people approached us for introduction and conversation. I had the formal smile on as I wondered how many shades of blond hair there were in the room. Simply a few darkhaired stepped forward, and one I recognized well.

"Juno!" I hugged her and the guard immediately surrounded us with weapons ready to draw.

Juno glared at them and they immediately backed off. Her harsh expression changed as she turned back to me and we withdrew from the intense gathering. "How lovely to see you again, sweetheart."

"You too." I was feeling unusually emotional in her company. "How is Quin?" I wanted it to be a casual enquiery, but my anxiety shone through.

"He's okay." Her smile was a little strained. "He's doing his best to avoid Penelope."

I made a face to express compassion without flat out wincing. "He's back in the hornet nest?"

Juno snickered. "Well, he's a big boy; he'll be fine," she assured me and with an arm under mine she ushered us to a little more discrete corner. She had noticed the amount of attention we were getting, and wanted to get me out of the uncomfortable spotlight. "How are you doing then, sweetie?"

"I'm fine."

She narrowed her eyes and I felt the truth wanting to slip out. I added what I intended to be a comforting smile. "Ty is back and all is well."

"If you say so."

The look on her face bemused me. What did she mean? Was I really not satisfied with the good life; life by the palace was luxurious and desired. "It's just a lot to take in. This is not how I've been raised." That sounded plausible enough, didn't it?

"Well, it can be a little much."

I smiled grateful and noticed the curious glances our way. Ty strolled toward our corner and bowed gracefully to the Queen.

"Ty, I'm so glad to find you safe and sound again." Juno smiled at the long time friend of her son. "And I'm so glad to see that the two of you have found each other," she added with a more assertive smile. I wondered what I had read into her features earlier, and why.

"Yes," Ty beamed at me and placed my hand on his arm. "I'm a lucky man." He made enquieries about Quin as I had done and got about the same answers.

"He's involved in the family business as I see you are as well."

Ty gave something of an amused snort. "They say it is time to take my responsibility."

Juno mearly smiled at that.

"And speaking of responsibility, I would like to dance with this lovely lady."

I was somewhat startled at that declamation and smiled as I was being led away. An orchestra started to play and Ty swirled me around a space that opened up for us. Embarrassed by the limelight, I conjured Mrs Canto's stern face and glued on a formal face. Eventually others joined in, reducing my stress level somewhat and a few dances in, we could exit without drawing attention.

Ty walked me around the room, talking to people I didn't know and I did my best to smile and carefully answer the few questions sent my way. People wanted to hear how we met and I gladly let Ty bend the truth just a little to conjure an opportunity for us to have been formally introduced.

Eventually somebody needed his undivided attention and I found myself being carefully shoved around the room, talking to strangers telling me how closely they were related to the Queen and how many in their family were in line between.

Finally in the midst of this circus I found a familiar face observing me from afar; Sorcha, the witch. I looked around and made my way to her.

"Princess." She was halfway in a curtsie when I stopped her with a hand on her arm.

"Sorcha." I was glad to find a familiar face.

"You haven't visited me in a long time." Her eyes twinkled with mischief just like old times.

I smiled relieved. "No, not since you helped us figure out how to solve the mystery of the estranged prince."

"Yes, that worked out just fine." She laughed a little, but looked around the room.

"What?" I tried to figure out what she was searching for.

"They're not especially pleased with your company."

Alarmed I found guarded faces around us.

"Thank you for the attention, Princess." Sorcha boughed respectfully. "Come see me later," she whispered before she snuck away. I was startled by the action and looked surprised at her sweeping out off the room, leaving me to the hungry crowd.

.