31. Not human at all.

Written 2015 by VeGirl ©

"How could my mother publish a book about me so many years before I was born?"

Both blokes were looking bemused. We had abandoned the tiny office and now sat in the September afternoon sun in my back yard. "We have painfully clearly established that she has been in Alfheim, if you've met her."

"We haven't, but I knew people who had," Quin defended himself. "But it was a long time ago and our paths may as well have crossed."

"Time works different in different realms." Ty was the one who now offered some clues, or this was perhaps just a way to ignore my comment. "The only suggestion that springs to mind is that she returned to fae with you." He scratched his short beard absentmindedly in a way I had seen him do several times by now.

"You may have noticed that we have a somewhat different lifespan." Quin flickered an uncertain smile towards me.

"Yeah, you're old!" It was a clear taunt from my part, but realization hit me. "But if the book is right I'm well over hundred years!" I yelped and put my cup of tea down hard enough to make the tea sloosh over onto the green painted garden table.

Ty and Quin looked amused at each other and then dotingly at me. "Like we said; just a kid."

I knit my brows in a tight line while processing their comment. "Fourhundred and eighty seven years, right?" I asked Ty who nodded. "I guess a mere hundred is just a youngster." I sighed defeated and relaxed my brows. I decided to pretend to believe all these weird facts were true when they in fact were preposterous.

"But how could I have aged at the same rate as my siblings; or the ones she assigned to be my siblings?"

The men shrugged. "It could be the time continuance."

Silence engulfed us only to be interrupted by my own screaming thoughts. "That means that I've been to your land before," I concluded. "If you; your friend met my mother, wasn't I there as well then?"

Quin cast an eye on Ty who shook his head thoughtfully slow.

"So she is fae." I thought about that for a while. "With your long lifespan, does this mean that my mother could have escaped somehow and isn't dead at all?" I stood up startled by my own thoughts since they jumped right out from my mouth before being editing at all. "Could she still be alive and living in fae?"

They reconsidered the possibility and with a short discussion in that annoyingly seductive language they both shook their head. "Sorry to say it but the news of her death reached our realm. The chance is slim."

"I agree, that is not plausible."

The little shred of hope I had withered away. "I figured it was impossible," I said defeated and with a sigh I slumped deeper in my chair. I would really have wanted to talk to the one part - the only one part of some kind of family.

"Well it is not impossible. She was a witch and witches have been able to reinvent themselves over time."

"The last I heard of was that French witch; Corbeaux," Ty mumbled and a shudder ran through him.

"Powerful," was all Quin said with a teasing smile and a wicked grin flitted over the features of both of them.

I sat heavy down on my chair again. "Excuse me?" By that sharp remark they turned their smiling faces to look at my grim one and their smiles vanished.

"What?"

Consciously I knew that I had no claim on them, but it felt like I had anyway. I was jealous. Why would I be that when I was the one who actually was married to someone else; a lying cheating someone else, but nonetheless...