47. A joyous occasion

Written 2016 by VeGirl ©

I wondered if I'd be able to spot the entrance to the dark elf community, but as I steered the borrowed horse closer, a big commotion around the mountain was a clear clue. I hadn't expected people to file in like that, and all I did was unmount the horse and join the parade.

Everybody were dressed immaculate; even better than my last visit here and my self-conscience was screaming at me. Even if I had hurried into one of the finer dresses I had, it was still a slim hunters dress, instead of the ostentatious huge dresses that were custom here.

Lower and lower into the mountain we filed step by step. I was already numb in the bodily part I had sat on for the last few hours, but soon my legs were starting to ache as well.

The last time I had been here, people hadn't been buzzing like this. According to the appearances of the people around me, I deduced it to contain both dark and light elves. Last time I had also been gob smacked by the surrounding, now I just wanted to hurry up. Everybody were excited and I hoped I had come in time. I turned left and right with everybody else, and eventually I could recognise my surrounding enough to find my dwindling way.

At the last few stairs, people chose a different way, allowing my tired legs to raise the speed downwards further.

Finally I pounded on the door I had simply passed earlier without such formalities. One of the butlers opened; it was one of the more formal ones, but he still recognized me.

"Excuse me, I'm looking for Quin." I stuttered with a big knot in my stomach. "I mean Prince Quin."

"Quindlen Edevane? He's on his way to the event of the millennium; the Royal wedding." His strict posture revealed not an ounce of recognition.

My heart stopped for a moment, as did my breathing. "He's already at the wedding?" I barely whispered.

The man's face split up in a cautious smile. "Penelope finally got her will."

"They're getting married?" My heart was making up for the pause earlier.

"Yes, the Royal wedding is the biggest thing in centuries." He smiled, finally unable to constrict the joy. "Have you come for the event?"

"Er... " I didn't know what to say.

"Prince Quindlen will be so glad to see you, miss Francine."

My brows flew up. Would he really be glad to see me? I was instantly breathless. Ty had abandoned me for my look-alike and Quin was about to marry Penelope.

How could things have changed like this?

Before I had actually made the decision, I was already on my way up the stairs again. With my heart pounding I knew I had to see him. Perhaps I would manage to get hold of him before he arrived at the church.

Was here a church to get married in?

Soon I managed to find the row of guests again, everybody all dressed up. Wedding guests to the left and right were swiftly passed on the stairs with no sensation of sore muscles in my legs anymore.

Finally I reached my destination, and my heart was pounding as I walked inside. From the middle of the entire entourage, I spotted him and it felt like thunderbolt and lightning. "Quin!" I called out and saw him react.

He turned around and I called his name again, helping him locate and push his way towards me. His brows were pressed together. "Francine Eleonore; what are you doing here?" He stopped just a step away.