Chapter 19: Evidence

Chapter 19

~Lucas’ POV~

 After heartfelt goodbyes and hugs in abundance-for me and Scottie- we were on the first flight out. By the time we were ready to leave Rivers had calmed down a bit but was unresponsive at most and so that particular goodbye had been wholly awkward and insubstantial.

After Adrian had finally snapped out of the shock which had taken hold of him earlier he’d made a few phone calls and had been on the phone ever since.

I found myself seated between the two brothers in first class, waiting anxiously for the flight to be over. Scottie was looking rather pale and drawn which was understandable in light of the recent news.

I wasn’t sure how to offer my support to him and I had a feeling that a hug or a pat on the shoulder wouldn’t be appreciated in that moment and so I sat there; tense and waiting while the brothers’ worlds fell apart.

My mind drifted back to the phone call I’d received last night and I had to wonder if it was just a coincidence that Marcus had been shot after I’d received the news that he along with his brothers were under investigation but of course it could have been any of those guys assigned to the case, just as easily as it could have been a random hit from some faceless enemy.

I scrubbed my hand over my face then turned my head slightly to eavesdrop on Adrian’s conversation.

Whoever he was talking to was getting more than an ear full from him but just as soon as he raised his voice his rant was cut off abruptly and he glanced at me, his expression one of disbelief.

“The fuckers actually hung up on me.” He said as if being hung up on was something totally beyond his comprehension.

“What do you expect with the way you were carrying on?”

He let out a breath then settled back into his seat. “They still won’t tell me anything about his condition. All she told me was that he’s in surgery. I don’t know where he was hit, whether the surgery’s major, nothing.” He said in obvious frustration and I took hold of his arm and squeezed gently.

“What if he dies thinking I chose the pack over him? That I betrayed him?” Scottie whispered from his corner and we both looked at him. He’d spoken so softly that he could only have been speaking to himself but the anguish written across his face was clear.

“Don’t talk like that. Marcus will be fine.” Adrian told him and Scottie’s eyes flashed to us, wide with unshed tears.

“But what if-” he began.

“I said he’ll be fine, now drop it.” Adrian retorted firmly and they both fell silent.

I allowed myself to think about Marcus, his body cold and still with death and it left a bitter taste in my mouth. I had no love for the guy but even he didn’t deserve to go out like that. I glanced between the two again then let out a breath before dropping my head onto the pull out table attached to the seat in front of me.

“I swear to God I’m going to kill the bastard who did this.” He uttered fiercely and I didn’t have to glance up at his expression to know he was serious.

……………………………………

Visiting hours were over by the time we arrived at the hospital in London later that night but with a few carefully placed words and some greens Adrian managed to get us in to see Marcus. He’d undergone several hours of surgery and had yet to awaken.