Chapter 24: Dominance and Submission.

Chapter 24

~Scottie’s POV~

The climate overshadowing the camp was sullen at best but the group of us sitting in Carson’s quarters were trying to make the best of a terrible situation. It had been a week and a half since the attack and we still had no answers. Surprisingly, no one saw the attackers and after the initial assault there were no other disturbances.

There was only one thing we were all certain of and that was that it had been an inside job. There was no evidence to suggest otherwise; We had traitors among us.

“Hasn’t Thomas told you anything Grady?” Jessie asked and the man in question shrugged.

“I rarely even see Thomas these days and I live with the guy.” He said shaking his head “He’s always holed up somewhere with Carson and the elders.” He explained much to our disappointment.

“Yeah the last time I saw Carson was a couple days ago and whenever he has time to reply to my texts it’s just to say they’re trying to get to the bottom of it.” Laken added in dismay and I sighed.

“A week and a half and we’re still exactly where we started; why won’t they at least tell us if they’ve found something?” I asked no one in particular and the look on everyone’s faces told me they were all wondering the same thing.

“They’ll call a pack meeting soon enough I guess.” Laken said; looking as miserable as we all felt.

“It just doesn’t make any sense; why would anyone randomly attack the pack causing only minimal damage and then disappear?” I questioned and once again no one could answer.

“Well there’s nothing we can do about it now, they’ll only tell us when they’re ready to tell us. Welcome to pack life Scottie; no matter how close you are to the person in charge you’ll still be as out of the loop as everyone else.” Grady said; not without malice and I nodded.

A few minutes of silence passed following Grady’s pronouncement before he spoke again.

“How’s Adrian holding up?” he directed the question at me.

I sighed, “Not good, he barely eats, doesn’t sleep…nothing.” I trailed off.

Jessie gave my arm a comforting squeeze and when I looked up again all eyes were trained on me.

“I can’t imagine what he must be going through…God if it had been Thomas…” Grady trailed off and we all understood his unspoken words; none of us would have been able to function if it had been our lover who’d met Lucas’ fate.

“God I miss talking to him…and Carson’s acting all tough but I know he’s hurting too.” Laken was saying; tears filling his eyes, “Lucas saved his life awhile back you know.” Laken said reverently.

“In the pack raids right? Jessie was telling me the story.” I spoke and Laken nodded.

“Yeah…we were losing, men going down right and left; they outnumbered us by far and they were prepared…we weren’t but then right when we thought it was all over Lucas showed up with his men and the Marcana pack." He took a breath then continued;

"At the time Carson was badly injured and I don’t know how, but he found him and took him to safety and what made him even more heroic was the fact that he hated Carson’s guts at the time but he put that aside and helped him.” By the time Laken finished the tears were trailing down his cheeks but no matter how many times he wiped them away they just kept coming.

“And now he’s…he’s…” Laken couldn’t finish as the sobs wracked his body. Grady moved to sit beside him, throwing a comforting arm around his friend’s shoulders.