Chapter 25: Vigilante justice.

Chapter 25

If any of the prisoners or their interviewers were to be asked exactly when everything went to shit they would possibly all have varying answers. For Scottie it would probably have been the moment the holding room’s door was ripped off its hinges and he went flying into the wall behind him. Thomas might even agree.

For Jessie and Rivers it could have been the second the elders before them fell to their death; blackened beyond recognition before their very eyes and they felt the horrible fleck of intense heat assault them as they ducked to the far side of their small rooms.

For Marcus it might very well have been the sound of his mate’s heart clenching scream ripping through his head and for that very unfortunate pack guard who stood watch over Carson and Adrian it might have been the moment he felt the sickening crunch of his hip bone as a large object slammed into him or maybe it was the moment he watched the flames tear at his skin as he screamed in agony.

………………………………………………..

~Lucas’ POV~

I pried my eyes open only to quickly slam them shut when the blinding light pierced them, sending tingling sensations ricocheting through. When I finally managed to open them without much cause for pain I began noticing other things; like the persistent throbbing in my side and the aching discomfort in my chest.

I didn’t dare move a muscle lest the sensations intensified. Instead I took in the room around me, noticing for the first time the fact that I was in what looked to be a hospital room. The beeping machines were a dead giveaway but it was the uncomfortable single bed I was sprawled out on that was the telling factor for me.

I swallowed, trying to quench my parched throat, then stuck out my tongue to wet my cracked lips. Somewhere not far away I could hear booms and shouts and if I wasn’t mistaken; gun shots and that’s what brought it all back to me.

I remembered Adrian training a gun on me; his expression fierce and his eyes filled with hurt, then I remembered the sharp pain erupting through my body and Adrian screaming my name as I fell to the floor.

It was almost too much to take in and a dull throb built in my head. Moments later after I’d almost succeeded in quelling the pain, the door of my room burst open and Adrian stepped in.

He looked tired and wary and his clothes were dirty enough to make me think he’d been rolling around in mud. He had a small cut above his left eye and what I could see of his knuckles were bruised and bleeding.

He immediately moved to the corner of the room and I watched in confusion as he opened the folding wheel chair there and rolled it over to my side. Then while he fidgeted with the tubes in my arm I spoke up.

“Adrian?” my voice was hoarse and weak but his eyes flashed to mine, wide with shock.

“You’re awake?” he asked in awe, dropping to his knees at my side and taking hold of my hand.

I simply stared at him; confused by his reaction.

“You’re awake.” He whispered again, almost reverently and my eyebrows went up a notch.

“Jesus Lucas I thought...” he took a calming breath and looked away and when his eyes met mine once more they were tormented.

“What’d I miss?” my question was barely a whisper against my parched throat.

He shook his head, almost as if he couldn’t understand my question. Then he squeezed the hand he held slightly. “I’m so sorry Lucas, I never meant to hurt you…I never wanted-“