Chapter 23: Cause for concern

Chapter 23

~Scottie’s POV~

“I just don’t get why the ceremony has to be so long and boring.”

 No one was surprised by Grady’s outburst.

“He’s right and if we’re really gonna have our ceremonies at the same time I shudder to think how long everybody will have to sit around.” Jessie added and Grady nodded.

“I say we get rid of some of the talking…the elder’s got nothing that interesting to say that his speech has to be so long.” Grady continued.

He was sprawled in a couch across the room and munching on some form of candy I’d never seen before.

“We can’t just alter the ceremony babe, there’s a procedure and if it’s not followed to the ‘T’ then we won’t be seen as officially mated.” Thomas explained.

“I’m sure the elders can do something about it though right? I mean they can’t really enjoy standing there for so long, plus this time they’ll have two to consider. Maybe I can get Carson to talk to them.” Laken said, turning his head which was resting in Thomas’s lap to address the rest of us. He was also munching on the strange candy.

“Carson won’t go for it. We have less than a week before the ceremony; he can’t approach the council with a matter like this on such short notice.” Thomas spoke up and Grady rolled his eyes.

“You’d think being the big bad Alpha and Beta that y’all could get things done.” He said rolling his eyes.

“Shut up Grady.” Thomas shot back and I laughed when Grady grabbed the only cushion behind him and poised to throw it in Thomas’ direction. Only, he didn’t get the chance to as the windows to the left of the room shattered, bathing us in shards of glass.

“Get down!” Thomas shouted and I watched in shock as he pulled Laken to the floor and ran the distance to drag Grady to the ground and cover him with his body.

I felt Jessie’s hand clasp my arm and pull me to the floor where she lay covering her head. Not a second later the ground shook from the force of what could only be an explosion.

…………………………………………….

~Rivers’ POV~

Adrian had lost his mind.

That had to be the only explanation for what he was doing. I fought against Marcus’ hold screaming at Adrian to think about what he was doing but he ignored me, his entire being focused on Lucas who stood in the hallway; shock written all over his face.

I tried to think back to earlier; to what could have triggered this reaction. He’d seemed fine earlier; if a little grumpy; then he’d disappeared into the sitting room for a few minutes. After he’d asked me where Lucas was and I’d told him he’d seemed pretty fine then too. I just couldn’t understand it.

I also couldn’t even begin to explain the terror that had clutched at my heart at the sight of his gun and I had remained frozen in that spot, my heart pounding in my chest with a vigor I didn’t know it had. I’d finally opened my mouth to ask him what was going on when Marcus had burst through the front door; assessed the situation and grabbed my arm, pulling me behind him in a protective gesture that still had my mind reeling.

That’s when Lucas had exited the bathroom; a towel draped loosely on his waist as he stood in shock staring at the gun his lover had pointed his way.