Chapter 27: Waiting game.

Chapter 27

~Marcus’ POV~

The moment the bullet pierced his flesh, I grabbed him, pinning him safely to the wall beside me. It was a mess out there but so far we’d suffered no casualties and we weren’t about to start. Not if I could help it.

While I kept up the spray of bullets, one of the pack guards crouched beside Thomas, pulling off his jacket to get an idea of how bad the wound was.

“It’s just a scratch, go make yourself useful.” Thomas argued with the guard who after only brief protest, got up and resumed his position.

We’d only gotten as far as their territory border and already we had opposition, I could only hope they didn’t call in reinforcements but at this point I didn’t doubt they would, which meant we needed to act fast. I looked around at Thomas who was tying a strip of cloth around his wound. Definitely not a scratch.

“Maybe you should head back. We could send two of the men with you.” I told him but he was adamant in his decision to stay.

“I’ll be fine.” he said and as if to prove it, he pushed up from the wall and lifted his weapon once more to assume his position.

We were an hour in, past the border and just a little bit closer to our destination when he stumbled against me and I allowed him to pull me behind the only  durable shelter available in the thick underbrush; a tree.

“It’s slowing me down, I gotta get it out.” Thomas said. He was sweating profusely, his voice hoarse and face as pale as white chalk.

His appearance threw me. He looked like death warmed over and I wondered if he would make it past the night.

“Somebody hand me a lighter!” I shouted and a second later one was placed in my outstretched hand.

I pulled out my pocket knife and stuck the blade under the low flame while another guard pulled the bloody strip of cloth from Thomas’ arm.

“We have nothing to clean the wound with. After I remove the bullet, it might get infected.” I told him, making sure he understood the implications. He nodded.

“It won’t, just do it.” he said, clenching his teeth.

“How long will it take to heal?” I asked as I got to work, something to distract him while I stuck the knife it.

“It’ll start healing the second the bullet’s out but it’ll heal completely in about a week.” He finished with a curse and I nodded, hoping he was right.

I never thought it would happen but I was actually worried about him. I must be getting soft.

When the bullet was out and another strip tied over the wound Thomas still didn’t look much better. If anything he looked worse and I was torn between ordering a few of his men to drag him back to camp or just moving forward. In the end I decided we should keep going. Despite his injury we needed every man we had.

In all the craziness I’d unconsciously blocked out Rivers emotional transmit and as we prepared to move I got it all on full blast.

“Shit!” I exclaimed when it all hit me and a few of the guys looked at me in askance.

“What?” Thomas was the only one to pry.

“It’s Grady.” I began and as quick as that, he became more alert. “Rivers must have picked up on my emotions before… he probably knows something’s wrong with you and told Grady.”