18. Lost

"Taylor, have you seen Hunter?" I ask worried on the phone.

"Not since lunch, why?"

"I can't find her." I have been waiting next to my car since I said bye to Taylor and Brook. I thought that maybe Hunter had some things to do before we had to go. I waited almost twenty minutes next to my car, but then the worry started to come. I have walked the hallways up and down for what feels like the thousand time now. Even looked in the bathroom, but nothing.

"I have looked everywhere, Taylor." I sigh, so does she.

"Maybe the field?" God, why did not I think about that? I am so stupid when I am worried.

"On my way, talk to you later." I hang up and run down the hallway and out the door. Finally, what feels like a lifetime, I reach the field, but it is empty.

"Goddammit!" I yell. I can literally feel my heart in my throat right now, closing all of my airways. I stand here trying to catch my breath again, but then I hear laughing. I walk to the bleachers and the voices become clearer. Then I go to the back and find Amy and her friends, and I can feel the anger in my veins as I see Hunter, sitting on the ground with her face hidden in her knees and her hands over her head.

"What a coward." I hear Amy say.

"What 'a hell Amy!" I yell, making all of them jump to turn around.

"Ah, Hunter your savior is here." She mocks. I push my way through them and bend down to Hunter.

"Hunter, you okay?" She doesn't answer or even move to take a look at me. That means something bad has happened because that is the only way her eyes can't reach mine. I clench my teeth, and I can feel myself shaking with anger. It's like everything is black right now. The sound of laughter fills my ears and it pushes the button on my trigger. I turn and walk fast towards Amy and grab her shirt. I push her to me so she can watch the darkness in my eyes that I can feel in my blood and bones. No one hurts Hunter; she means the world to me. She is the last person on this earth that I ever thought I would care for, but still, I do. I am not going to let someone like Amy and her friends hurt her.

"WHAT. DID. YOU. DO?" I say slow and clear so she can hear me through the beating sound of her heart in her ears. She swallows hard, she better be scared.

"I-I'm sorry." She apologizes.

"You didn't answer me." My hold on her white shirt tightens even more and I know my knuckles are turning white as snow.

"I hit..." I push her away before she could even finish the sentence.

"Get the fuck away from here." Amy and her friends walk away, ashamed. I go back to Hunter and sit down on my knees.

"Hey." I say softly, placing my hands on her wrists and take her arms away from her head.

"Hunter, look at me." She shakes her head in her knees.

"It's okay, it's just me." Hunter shakes her head again.

"Hunter, please. We need to go home, we are going to drive to my grandma tonight, remember?" She sigh and nod. Then she looks at me, and all of the darkness I had in me comes back again. I want to punch Amy more than anything right now.

It hurts to look at her like this as if my heart was separated into two. My hands are shaking with anger and sadness. Hunter's lip is cracked and she is bleeding, her skin looks red and sore. I can't believe I let this happen again. I am supposed to take care of her; I promised dad that, I promised myself that.

I cup her face with my left hand on the fine side and I turn her face so I can take a better look. I take the free hand to push her hair behind her ear. She looks like someone's owe punching bag, Amy's punching bag.