22. Hunter, you can drag me through hell

I wake up finding myself alone in the bed. I step out of it and get dressed. I cannot believe it is Wednesday already. Grandma is sitting in a chair outside. I stretch myself and go out to her.

"Oh, hey darling."

"Hey, grandma." I smile and sit down in the chair next to her.

"Where's Hunter?"

"They all went out shopping." She answers and I scratch my neck.

"Without me?"

"Hunter said you were sleeping deeply, so we let you sleep until you woke up." I smile brightly at the thought of Hunter sleeping. She didn't even get the time to say Goodnight before she passed out. She was drained after we played soccer in the evening.

Her face was buried in my neck and her breathing was tickling me. I look at grandma who looks at me weird.

"What?" I ask. She is holding in her laugh.

"I think," She starts.

"My granddaughter is in love." My mouth dropped open and my eyes widen. I feel like the way Hunter looks when she is frozen. My cheeks are burning and my heart is beating like shit.

"Don't worry honey, your secret is safe with me." She says and pats my leg.

"No, no, no" I shake my head.

"No, I am not." She laughs at me.

"I am not in love with anyone."

"Yes, you are." She protests. Hunter comes around the corner, thank god. She has a big smile on her face and hands full of bags.

"Hey, sleepy head," She teases. Mom and dad come behind her.

"I am just gone take these in." She says. I nod, then all of them walk inside. I look back at grandma who has a sly smile on her face.
"What?" I ask and she raises her eyebrow.

"You don't fool me, darling. I have never seen you smile so bright before, and you two are like magnets."

"What are you talking about, grandma?"

"Do I really have to say it right out darling?" I am not sure if I want to hear it.

"You are in love with Hunter." I stand up from the chair.

"No. No. No, I am certainly not."

"Calm down, honey. And yes you are, the way you look at her, the way you laugh with her." I take a deep breath.

"Skylar sit down, it's nothing to worry about." I shake my head repeatedly and sit down as she said. She places her hand on my knee and looks at me with warm eyes.

"It's okay Skylar, it's normal to fall in love." I shake my head again.

"No, I can't have feelings for Hunter."

"Why?" She asks while I just sit here with my heart up in my throat.

"Is it because she is a girl?" I shake my head.

"No, because she is Hunter." She looks at me confused.

"Is there something wrong with Hunter?"

"No, she is perfect in every way, but so goddamn hard to get through and if I try, she just shut me out." I sigh.

"She will come eventually when she is ready. Your dad told me she was much worse before and that you are the reason for her opening up.

He is so proud of you, for all of the things you have done for her. Just wait for her, Skylar. In the end, it is worth it." She tells me with a warm smile and I nod.