20. Nightmare

The sound of moving and heavy breathing cause me to wake, from the deepest of my dreams. I rub the tiredness out of my eyes and turn on the light. Hunter is laying half on the mattress and half on the floor.

Her duvet has fallen off her and she is breathing so heavy. She sounds like me when we played football for hours. She moves and twists even more. I kick the duvet off and move my way down next to her. Hunter is wet with sweat on her forehead.

"Hunter?" I whisper nothing. I say her name louder, but she doesn't respond. The heart in my chest is beating so goddamn hard right now, I have been scared for her before, but this the worst thing I have experienced. I place my hands on her shoulders and shake her.

"Hunter!" She wakes up fast in a sitting position and takes a deep breath. She almost smashed her head on mine. Her distant blue, clear as ice is looking around the room like she can't even remember where she is.

"Hunter?" She looks at me and blinks her eyes repeatedly. I cup her face with my hands.

"It's okay, I'm here." I promise her. The tension in my body has calmed down. My heart beats normal again, but still, I can feel the tears fall down my cheeks. Watching her in pain hurts, every time. It feels like someone is stabbing a knife through my heart.

Hunter nods and I smile at her, to let her know everything is okay. Then to my surprise, she wraps her arms around me tight and starts crying.

I have not seen her cry since she broke down in the living room at home. I place my arms around her as well and start stroking her back. She is clammy and she is so warm it's like touching a flame.

"I-I'm sorry I woke you." I cannot but laugh.

"Hunter, how can you be worried about me when you're the one hurting." She shrugs making both of us move.

"You know I am here for you, no matter what." Her grip around me tighten. I can't sit on my knees anymore, it hurt so bad. I fall down on the mattress with her upon me. Still, she is holding me as if I am the only thing that can keep her from falling apart.

Her face is buried in my shirt on my chest. I know she is already warm, but I manage to take the duvet over the both of us, she will freeze once her temperature has fallen down. I do not really need a duvet, I have Hunter all over and her heat is enough for me. Her sobbing has stopped and her breathing has calmed.

"You want to talk about it?" She shakes her head and moves her arms on my back. I lift her and myself up so she can get them away from under me. Still, she doesn't go off, and I am glad for that. So I lay my arms on her back. She grabs my shirt on my shoulder with her left hand, I have noticed that she is left-handed.

"I really, really like you Skylar." Her words warmed my heart more than the sun can warm my skin.

"I really like you too, Hunt." She snorts of the nickname I gave her.
"I like that." She says and turns her head to the other side.

"You're the only one that has found out how to get my nightmares away."

"I'm glad I did." She moves and looks up to me with a smile. Her blue eyes sparkling more than ever, but still, I can see some worry in them. I am not sure if it is her dream or if it is something else, that is bothering her.

"And you Hunter make my nights warmer and more meaningful." Her cheeks turn red and she lay her head back down on my chest, I smile so brightly that my cheeks almost hurt.

"We should sleep because if we sleep throughout the day, my grandma will break down the door." Hunter chuckles, making both of us shake. Her temperature has fallen back to normal.

"Goodnight, Sky." I smile.

"Goodnight, Hunti."