Chapter one: Beginnings

• Dedicated to Maureen Yollanda Goodluck

"It's official everyone, I'm suspended for three days." I announced as I walked closer to the round table in the far east of the school cafeteria where my small group of friends sat waiting for me. Waiting for the news on the verdict that had certainly kept them on their toes.

William, the one with enough sense and good boy written all over him smirked, "You are the only person I know who becomes happy when suspended." He, like everybody surrounding me knew I was ever a magnet to trouble. My dad had jokingly said over the years that trouble knew me so well, it was impossible to separate the two of us.

Our eyes met as I smiled at him. "Well, I'm the only Abby Houston you know."

Isnt that true! chimed in Vanessa, a pretty girl with the brains. are you supposed to be on campus?

I shook my head, nope, I was told to immediately leave the school grounds but I had to come see you all before I left. The doors to the cafeteria swung open and Mr. Ronald, the school principal built like a war machine, came in like a lion chasing after a prey. His eyes were on me immediately and getting angrier by the minute.

He pointed to me and then to the exit.

I think thats my cue everyone. I murmured and stood up to get my things. Suspension was not a new thing to me but I would be damned if I got another. My ever-understanding father would probably skin me alive.

The wind blasted through my hair as I parked my bike outside my home. It was a beautiful house complete with the beautiful garden that had an excellent view. And for the past five years it had become home.

As I closed the front door, I saw the housekeeper waving as she walked back into the kitchen. my dad was around by the look and sound coming from the office space in the far left. The office door was open and my dad was sitting on the office chair, looking very relaxed. His concentration on the papers he held. There was a certain happiness glinting in his eyes that I had never been privy to. I mean, the man was a happy man who dearly loved me but there was just something there today that made it more special.

Dad? I almost stuttered as I walked towards him, wondering if he was going to give me a piece of hell for being suspended. This was the second time in three months and it did not include those days I was just merely sent home.

His face lit up more when he saw me which made me even more suspicious. My dad was well known in town and I was hundred percent sure that news of my suspension had already reached him.

The only reason that popped in my mind for his emotional state was that he finally heard back from that job he wanted in that weird town. A weird town I always forgot the name to.

Hello sweetheart. He said, his focus returning back to the papers. You are out of school early." He remarked.

"Well about school...."

"Please tell me you did not get into another fight." He groaned.

"Well..."

"You did, didn't you?"

"Daddy, the boy was being an ass and he was a bully. He just had to be taught a lesson." I argued as I vividly recalled my punch landing on the bullys face, knocking him straight to the ground. I looked like a girl but I packed a punch.

He smiled shaking his head slowly. And you happened to be the hero to come in and save the day? Mh, anyway I have some great news to share with you." His eyes gave way his excitement. "Remember that job in Maytown I always wanted?" I nodded. "Well, I got it."

"I'm so happy for you, dad." I said and I was really happy for it. For a really long time, it had been just me and him. He was my light. There was nothing I would not do for him and vice versa.