Chapter 1

Tavia Valentine (In MM)

It's kind of funny how love works

It's kind of funny how love works . The fact that it's a commitment that can last for certain period of times depending on the players or an invisible string attached from one soul to another. If this is all true and all these phenomenons are true then how come it's so hard for us to say love.

Monroe Heights . The definition of ghetto and all other things associated with that word. The fact that I had to be body checked everyday, and the faces that passed me each with a background that could send chills down your spine. The walls that were verbally and physically abused kept me a prisoner for hours. I had no choice but to grow up in the world that is South-Chicago. All I could afford was a fake smile and life.

"Yo! Valentine! ... Valentine!" I heard my name being called and turned around causing some people behind me to go around and make smart remarks. Brian rushed to me and placed his arm around me leading me down the hall.

"Wassup, baby girl" he said smiling at me .
"Don't even try it , You know Keke don't play that shit" I said struggling to free his arm from around my neck.
"I'm just messing with ya , whatchu doin tonight anyways" he didn't look at me as he did some hand shake with some of his friends.
"Speaking of Keke , here comes baby mama drama" I saw Keke rushing down the hall yelling his name.
"BRIAN! COME GET THIS DAMN BABY " she said .
"Does this bitch ever rest ? She fuckin crazy bruh" he said , trying to run towards the other direction
"If she asks yien seen me" I nodded as he disappeared into the waves of crowds.
I stood there waiting for her to approach me because I knew she was going to. Keke and Brian have the most complicated relationship in Chicago , they've broken up like 1,000 times and that's meant to be taken literally. Having a child together and cheating on each other is just the beginning. Somehow they always put me in the problem.

"TAVIA! WHERE THE FUCK HE GO, AND DON'T LIE TO ME CAUSE I KNOW YOU KNOW!" she cradled the baby and tapped her foot waiting for a reply.
"Calm down , Keke . It's too fuckin early for you and his bullshit" I said rolling my eyes.
"He the one who started it, It was his turn to take Brian Jr. tonight but, instead he snuck out with some hoe" she said fiercely , I could feel her heart pounding.
"Just one question, If you and Brian don't get along why name the baby after him?"
"Look! Dr.Phil , did I ask you on a parenting lesson? Juh tell me where he at so I can give him his son and this day will go on nicely" she came closer to my face and I could smell the baby puke on her blouse . I pointed towards the way he went and she gave me a fake smile and walked on.

I've always envied the kids who didn't have to grow up in this town and go here. Saddest part was none of this was new. I'm used to it .

I reached my locker and I heard the five minute bell. Rushing to get my books out , I was interrupted by laughter.

"Good morning, Tavia" Olivia was all smiles , her honey brown hair laid flat ironed across her black blazer.
"Good morning, boo" I leaned in to hug her and her Chanel perfume filled my nose.
"What's his name? Do I know him? and where he live?" I pulled back and stared at her.
"What do you mean?" she said looking down like she was hiding something.
"Don't play. 5-Inch heels, flat ironed hair, and Chanel ? You know what i mean" I said lifting her head up so she would be looking at me.
"Okay damn, its...its..."
"Spit it out" I cut her off and gave her a shove.
"Caleb" she spoke quietly
"Caleb? as in West" I froze in place for a moment. I took my arms off her shoulder and faced my locker as I was grabbing my books the final bell rang.
"Bubbles, I'm sorry I ain't tell you" she placed her hands on my shoulder, I could hear the calmness in her voice.
"I ain't mad, I just never thought I'd see him again" I said closing my locker and facing her again.