Chapter 15

/thanksforthelove/

Caleb

"... Why didn't you show up that day?" The officer stood on the opposite side of the table and paced back and forth questioning me. I was looking tired because they had came to my apartment at 6 in the morning wanting to question me. I was trying not to doze off due to how it my look on my file. I've been here so many times but, I still feel uncomfortable every time I spend here. I was actually planning on going to school today even though I knew what I had to face. I just wanted to see Tavia. Her smile, her face and tell her how much I had missed her over the break and take full responsibility of what had happened between us.

"I don't know" I yawned.

"Well you better unless you wanna be answering me in your prison cell" He taunted.

"I told you everything that I knew. I didn't kill Cole. Now, can we please finish this up, I don't want to miss the first day back from Winter Break. You know how important education is right?" I intoned with a soft smirk.

He paused and gave me a dark glare and said, "We'll finish this later. Get out." 

I threw my book bag into the car and took off. I checked my phone to see the time and if I would have made it before 1st block had finished. I stepped on the gas pedal a little more, the town of West Hill was so bad that it made me feel weird passing the places that I grew up to know, the churches being torn apart and the corner stores being filled with drug addicts. I pulled up to the parking lot and parked my car in the same place I had always been parking since my sophomore year at Monroe. I turned off the engine and just sat there. I couldn't leave the car. A part of me was feeling scared of what I would have to deal with. Very few times that I feel like this. 

I could imagine the whole student body start pressuring me to answer their ignorant ass questions. Since what had happened that night with Jade I couldn't stop having flashbacks about what had happened with me and Cole. My head started spinning and pounding when i just thought about it and it made me want to just go back home and take a long ass nap. I opened the door and grabbed my book bag and walked toward the staff door. Luckily, there was no students in the hall only some staff members and that rarely happened. Monroe always had some kids that never went to class and I would know cause I was one of 'em. I walked up to the tardy desk and waited for the lady to come back.

She eventually returned and sat down at the desk, her eyes was enlarged by her thick brown spectacles and her ebony fair skin complimented her short curls pulled back into a small ponytail, "Do you have a pass?" She questioned.

"I was at the station. Feel free to call them" I scoffed. At this school just saying that you were at the police station was an enough excuse and they wouldn't even bother to ask more cause they know how they kids are. She eyed me and printed out a pass and slapped it into my hands.

"Seniors are in the auditorium. Find your class and hand that pass to your teacher." She remarked and continued working back on the computer. I mugged her while she wasn't looking and marched to my locker. I placed my book bag in it and grabbed my binder and closed it behind me as I walked off.

"Aye! Caleb!" I saw the person approaching me but, I wasn't sure who it was. I'd never seen the nigga around.

"Who you?" I stated.

"Javontae. I heard about what happened with you and Jade and I juh wanted to let you know that If you need anything. I got you bro. I'll even lie cuh we both know you killed him." He laughed as if it were a joke. I felt my pulse racing and my face turning red. I don't know what happened. When I caught on to reality I was pinning him against the locker and holding him by the shirt.